PDA

View Full Version : Foreigners receive a raw deal in Japan for petty crimes

Maciamo
Jun 12, 2003, 10:32
Foreigners receive a raw deal in Japan for petty crimes (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20030611/od_afp/japan_foreigner_crime_030611143537)

The 25-year-old New Zealander said she was overpowered by 15 policemen, bound hand and foot and thrown into jail for a week after a run-in with the police over parking her car in someone else's spot got out of hand.

The police insist arrested foreigners and Japanese are treated alike, but some lawyers and human rights groups argue that in practice, when handling relatively minor offences, people from overseas receive a rougher deal.

After a heated exchange, Kalia said she jumped into her car to escape, but the policeman forcefully grabbed her arm "so I slapped him two times across the face."

For Kalia, money talked, and she was allowed to walk free after her husband paid off the man in whose space she parked.

"This experience has changed my whole opinion of Japan," she said.

"I can't wait until the day I leave. They really need to change as they can't continue to treat people like this."

thomas
Jun 12, 2003, 19:27
Very discomforting. Anyhow, whatever the reason and no matter where it happens, I wouldn't advice to slap a police officer across the face, they'll consider this a physical attack on an officer in duty which means serious trouble.

A judge must give police permission to hold someone for up to 10 days, this period can be extended another 10 days and on exceptional cases a further five until a charge is brought.

I don't know enough about the Japanese Code of Criminal Procedure (yet), but I am wondering about the duration of detention in case of petty crimes. Solitary confinement for selling tickets??

charles_7
Jan 20, 2004, 09:49
wow
I am planing to move down to tokoyo for a while to be with my girl
.. but stuff like this scares me
:(

Matthew C. Perry
Jan 20, 2004, 10:38
It isn't Mexico. The police are generally very professional, and the chances of being bothered by them are slim, but there does seem to be some deep-rooted anti-foreigner bias.

Mashu
Jan 21, 2004, 10:38
I bet the police were angry because she assaulted an officer.

brownie
Feb 2, 2004, 14:17
Look what we Americans do. We invade countries, kill babies, mothers, children, fathers for no reason except to steal oil. Before foreigners begin to preach about how terrible Japanese are I suggest a reality check is in order. Not only do we invade sovereign nations, we occupy them, and don't leave. American soldiers didn't need any visas to enter Iraq. And we Americans are so stupid we believe that liar Bush who ringing up the cash register with his buddy Cheney. Let it be what ever the scenario. And the media controlled by mogul barrons have the gaul to call the freedom fighters killing US soldier guerillas who in fact only wish to liberate their country from the US, king of warmongers and baby killers, aka Vietnam etc

Golgo_13
Feb 3, 2004, 09:05
Brownie points for Mr. Brownie! Well said.

The moral of the story--if you go to Japan, don't commit any crime.

Go to Singapore and do it, and see what happens.

Matthew C. Perry
Feb 3, 2004, 13:44
Brownie, you'e a bit late. The "Baby Killer!" thing has been out of fashion for at least 30 years.

mad pierrot
Feb 3, 2004, 21:32
"It isn't Mexico."
LOL

Yeah, btw Golgo nailed it. I've heard the horror stories about gaijin and "butsu" run-ins. Legend says a gaijin got two years because someone sent him a pipe in the mail. It makes me laugh when someone asks me where they can buy stuff.

Don't want to get in trouble? Don't break the law, or make DAMN sure you won't get caught. Then when you do get busted, don't cry when you get your a** handed to you.

:)

Timsan
Feb 4, 2004, 10:08
wow she slapped a cop? wtf did she think would happen?

Dan B
Jun 1, 2004, 03:36
I would agree with Timsan and several others here.

After a heated exchange, Kalia said she jumped into her car to escape, but the policeman forcefully grabbed her arm "so I slapped him two times across the face." [emphasis]
1. She parked in someone else's reserved space.
2. She foolishly engaged in an argument with a police officer.
3. She then tried to "escape."
4. After the police officer dutifully tried to stop her, she struck him.

Her initial error was relatively minor though, as I recall that space is typically at a premium in Japanese cities, it wasn't something which could be simply ignored. But the errors quickly compounded. Why would she possibly believe that her actions would not result in her being forcibly subdued and put in jail?

It sounds to me as if she needs to learn how to behave appropriately and according to some fairly simple societal rules, be it in Japan or anywhere else.

"I can't wait until the day I leave. They really need to change as they can't continue to treat people like this."
An ironic statement, to be sure. Regardless, I would wager that there are some other folks who also can't wait until the day she leaves...

Dan