PDA

View Full Version : Movie: 'Infernal Affairs' / 'The Departed' (Hollywood remake)

Supervin
Nov 18, 2006, 07:01
Infernal Affairs (無間道 / 无间道 / インファナル・アフェア) is a crime thriller released in 2002, which revolves around two undercover moles - a triad member who infiltrates the police force and the other who is an undercover cop in a major triad gang. The two eventually seek each other out.

http://www.infernalaffairs.com/2002 - Infernal Affairs (2002)

http://thedeparted.warnerbros.com - The Departed (2006)

What did you think of either film, and what parts did you find the most memorable?

If you have seen both, what do you think of the changes made to the original in the latter movie?

RockLee
Nov 19, 2006, 19:52
I saw infernal affairs I,II and III. They are all as equal exciting imho :) I read about the hollywood remake a while ago, and hope they won't ruin the whole movie :/

huayue
Nov 26, 2006, 13:26
i like the actor of this movie

Qutiepie
Dec 4, 2006, 09:32
We can't wait to see the hollywood version on DVD.

japantvhost
Dec 12, 2006, 01:28
the first movie was the best!

michi
Dec 12, 2006, 02:21
I've seen Infernal Affairs and The Departed. The remake is a big disappointment considering the people involved in it's development. It ruins every aspect that made Infernal Affairs a great thriller. The plot, mood, and acting in the The Departed is atrocious.

helloraine
Apr 15, 2008, 21:16
I have not yet seen Infernal affairs 3, but seen the other 2. I watched Infernal affairs first, i liked it, great acting, the actors showed alot of emotions throughout the film. You connect with the characters more than the departed. The deoarted was not so great, some of the scenes especially the ending made you think what the heck is going on. It seems like they rushed the ending bit. The scene where the detective falls from the building, lacked emotion whereas in Infernal affairs, you felt for the character more.

Pachipro
Apr 15, 2008, 23:32
I just watched The Departed the other day for the first time and although the acting was great, I was quite confused between the two characters portrayed by Matt Damon and Leon DeCaprio and got a little confused as to who was who in the beginning.

Yes, the ending was also a little confusing and rushed as, who killed Matt Damon in the end? Was it the hard nosed detective? I will have to watch it again to take it all in.

Internal Affairs I have not seen, but based on some of the reviews maybe I should.

BTW, Not trying to be a smartass here but, just out of curosity, what does this post/movies have to do with Chinese Culture and History? Were these movies based on original Chinese movies? If so please post the original titles as I'd be interested in viewing those also.

Mycernius
Apr 15, 2008, 23:50
Infernal affairs trilogy are better than The Departed. Not to detract from The Departed, which itself was a fairly good film from a constistantly good director, but Internal affairs took the time over three films to tell the entire story. The Departed tries to do this in one film and loses the characters in the film as it is more hurried. At the end it seems contrived and makes you feel as if you havge missed something because of the contraction of the plot. They might have been better remaking it as a trilogy and there by keeping the interest in the characters, but is probably due to Hollywood trying to make a fast buck rather than risk a venture on three films that might fail.

Pachipro
Apr 16, 2008, 00:13
They might have been better remaking it as a trilogy and there by keeping the interest in the characters, but is probably due to Hollywood trying to make a fast buck rather than risk a venture on three films that might fail.
Very true Mike and I agree. Too bad they go for the quick buck in this country. A little more patience would probably bring in more bucks, but it is the short term returns they are looking for, just like Wall and Fleet Street.

lonesoullost3
Apr 16, 2008, 02:44
I'm going to come right up and say that I hated The Departed. In my opinion, it did an injustice to the great work in all three films in the original Infernal Affairs trilogy. The lack of character development and emotion in the remake totally missed the point of the original film. The music in the original series as well gave the film much depth, particularly the scene where the Sergeant (I forget his name atm) was thrown from the hotel. Mycernius's comment quoted above by Pachipro is right on the money, imo. Hence I like watching foreign films more than Hollywood films - unless I just want to watch a thoughtless blockbuster (like The Departed).