PDA

View Full Version : Chinese County Massacres 50, 000 Dogs

Wang
Aug 6, 2006, 01:13
Chinese County Massacres 50, 000 Dogs

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: August 4, 2006

A county in southwestern China has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a government campaign ordered after three people died from rabies, official media reported Tuesday.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten on the spot, the newspaper said. Other killing teams entered villages at night, creating noise to get dogs barking, then honing in and beating them to death.

Click here (http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-China-Dogs-Killed.html) to read the full news article.

Han Chan
Aug 6, 2006, 04:29
I can not see what this has to do with Japan?

nice gaijin
Aug 6, 2006, 04:40
that's why it's in the Chinese News forum...

It sounds like an awful overreaction to such a small number of cases, especially since they were not strays but people's pets.

Han Chan
Aug 6, 2006, 04:44
that's why it's in the Chinese News forum...

It sounds like an awful overreaction to such a small number of cases, especially since they were not strays but people's pets.

OK I did not realize that I had ended up in the Chinese forum. It is listed as a new thread under the Japan forum!

nice gaijin
Aug 6, 2006, 04:50
the China forum is a Sub-forum of JREF. Sometimes I have to make a double-take to make sure the thread is in an appropriate place.

JimmySeal
Aug 6, 2006, 12:56
...especially since they were not strays but people's pets.

Huh, I don't get it. Why is it better to kill people's pets than strays?

nice gaijin
Aug 6, 2006, 13:57
When did I say it was better to kill people's pets? I said it was an awful overreaction especially since they were pets and not strays.

sccc466
Aug 17, 2006, 23:51
Someone should just come up with something to detect if a dog has been infected before killing it...rather than killing every single dog on the street..mass dog killing is cruel

Another Aoi Fan
Aug 23, 2006, 05:16
The owners were given 50 cents. They had a choice. They really needed the money he guess. :okashii: :okashii:

Goldiegirl
Aug 23, 2006, 06:06
Unfortunatley the only way to test for rabies is through brain tissue. :( Anyway, I am guessing that the Chinese don't routinely rabies vaccinate their pets. I would assume again that it is a money issue. It's too bad though that so many were killed, only dogs that may have come in contact with the infected animals would have been enough...

misa.j
Aug 23, 2006, 07:55
I'm a dog lover, and this kind of news make me very upset. It sounds like they just went around hunting any dogs randomly for the campaign.