PDA

View Full Version : 10 adjectives that best describe your image of the Japanese national character

Maciamo
Jun 29, 2006, 21:22
All people see and feel the world differently. All people are biased according to the cultural environment and experiences. All people have different personalities and abilities. This is why I am interested in asking what is your image of the Japanese according to the ones you know, and your personal experience as a foreigner in Japan, or a Japanese that has lived abroad (the Japanese who haven't lived abroad or the foreigners who haven't lived in Japan will find it more difficult to reply to this thread).

Here is my list :

- polite (and hypocritcal)
- respectful
- industrious
- obedient
- childish (and naive)
- epicurian
- sociable
- anxious (easily worried)
- prejudiced (toward foreigners)
- influenceable

misa.j
Jun 30, 2006, 04:30
Hmm 10 adjectives, eh? Here they go.

-Punctual
-Clean
-Persistant
-Unaffectionate
-Organized
-Calculating
-Excitable
-Kind
-Efficient
-Dependent

These are some of the characteristics of the Japanese I know(knew) that stand out. With some of those, I couldn't help comparing with the Americans I know.

GaijinPunch
Jun 30, 2006, 09:24
Hmmm....

I probably won't use 10, but:

-Punctual (definitely)
-Abudantly fortefied with work ethics (uh... )
-Kind
-Unsympathetic

That's all I can think. Why unsympathetic? Conclusions I drew myself, after examining the homeless situation. They get no tax break for making donations, and for the most part (at least all the Japanese I know), don't donate to the needy. You donate for one of two (or both) reasons. Either b/c you want the tax break, or b/c you're sympathetic to people in their situation. I've never seen one Japanese person give a homeless person anything... not even a look.

Then again, most westerners aren't really sympathetic either... just a noticeable nitche group, I would say.

Silverpoint
Jun 30, 2006, 09:43
Why didn't you just entitle this thread "List all the stereotypes you have about Japanese people"?

(the Japanese who haven't lived abroad or the foreigners who haven't lived in Japan will find it more difficult to reply to this thread).
Would you like to explain why? Why would a Japanese who hasn't lived abroad have difficulty in defining their impression of their own national character? Furthermore, I've never lived in any countries other than England and Japan, but I could easily think of ten adjectives that fit my impression of what the average German, Frenchman, Spaniard, Italian, Australian or American is like.

Maciamo
Jun 30, 2006, 18:27
Why didn't you just entitle this thread "List all the stereotypes you have about Japanese people"?

You could, but stereotypes has three connotations which I wanted to avoid : negative, untrue (myths) and shared by a large group of people. Here are I asking for both positive and negative adjectives, which true to you based on real experience, and personal (not how others feel about it, but YOU).

Would you like to explain why? Why would a Japanese who hasn't lived abroad have difficulty in defining their impression of their own national character? Furthermore, I've never lived in any countries other than England and Japan, but I could easily think of ten adjectives that fit my impression of what the average German, Frenchman, Spaniard, Italian, Australian or American is like.

Everybody has "stereotypes" and first-hand impressions on people from various countries. But I know from experiences that these images change a lot once you have actually been (for at least a few months) to the country in question.

Silverpoint
Jun 30, 2006, 18:41
I'm still unclear as to why a Japanese who hasn't lived abroad will find it difficult. Do Belgians find it difficult to identify their own national characteristics unless they live somewhere other than Belgium?

Maciamo
Jun 30, 2006, 19:06
I'm still unclear as to why a Japanese who hasn't lived abroad will find it difficult. Do Belgians find it difficult to identify their own national characteristics unless they live somewhere other than Belgium?

Yes, of course ! If you only know your country you forcedly have false stereotypes about other countries, and cannot determine how much more of less of something (e.g. polite, anxious, clean...) people are elsewhere. It is only by opposition that it becomes clear. Maybe that is why so many Japanese have such strong prejudices against foreigners, as too many of them have never lived abroad or interacted with foreigners in their own cultural environment (foreigners in Japan often don't behave as they would in their home country, justly because they are in a different culture and society).

As for Belgium, I find it much harder to define its national character, even after living in many countries, than defining the one of other countries where I have lived. But maybe that is because there is more than one dominant culture in Belgium.

pipokun
Jun 30, 2006, 20:01
As for Belgium, I find it much harder to define its national character, even after living in many countries, than defining the one of other countries where I have lived. But maybe that is because there is more than one dominant culture in Belgium.
Belgian is, at least, more pragamtic than Japanese, even though you have far greater cultural differences than the one, Hanshin Tigers v. Tokyo Giants.

So which cities did you spend at when you were a kid?

Rich303
Jun 30, 2006, 20:44
Hmmm....

-Punctual (definitely)
-Abudantly fortefied with work ethics (uh... )
-Kind
-Unsympathetic

Then again, most westerners aren't really sympathetic either... just a noticeable nitche group, I would say.

re; Punctual/ Work ethic -
Small issues aside, I've been hugely impressed by how seriously take their jobs, since I've been working for NHK in London (It is nearly all Japanese people). My technical dealings with Tokyo have nearly always gone smoothly.
If someone says they will do something, they do it.

When I deal with English people I have to chase them and pester them a lot to do their job (even though they are making money from the situation).

E.G - Sony UK had one of my machines in for repair for well over a month, during which I had to keep calling them to start the job (because of lost information, bad communication and general slackness)
Eventually I had to send a second purchase order to start the repair job again. What they don't realise is I have people at NHK chasing me about the machine and wondering if it is my fault...

...Kind and unsympathetic is a strange juxtaposition, and I'm still making my mind up.
My (ex?)G/F(?) whatever she is/was is not very sympathetic.
I read something here about needing a 'thick skin in Japan', maybe mine is not thick enough to have a Japanese girlfriend.

GaijinPunch
Jul 1, 2006, 09:21
When I deal with English people I have to chase them and pester them a lot to do their job

I live in perhaps the worst mainly English speaking place on Earth for that (Hawaii). You're lucky to find anyone working a full day. There's a restaurant with delicious food across the street. I go down there at 16:00 for my break every day, and they are always closed, yet the sign still says open until 17:00.

Silverpoint
Jul 1, 2006, 11:40
Yes, of course ! If you only know your country you forcedly have false stereotypes about other countries, and cannot determine how much more of less of something (e.g. polite, anxious, clean...) people are elsewhere. It is only by opposition that it becomes clear.

I don't entirely agree. We're talking about being able to identify national characteristics. I'm English, and long before I left England I could have told you 10 adjectives I felt described our national character. Whether or not I would be right, doesn't matter. It doesn't mean I can't try. You yourself said you are interested in people's observations based on their experience. Well that counts true for all. If you start narrowing the type of experiences that permit someone to make such an observation, your two views conflict with each other.

Maybe that is why so many Japanese have such strong prejudices against foreigners, as too many of them have never lived abroad or interacted with foreigners in their own cultural environment (foreigners in Japan often don't behave as they would in their home country, justly because they are in a different culture and society).

Forgive my curiosity, but do you never miss an opportunity to bash the Japanese for being prejudiced against foreigners? Perhaps you're misunderstood, or don't do it intentionally (maybe I'm missing something here), but I'm surprised that the admin of a Japanese forum seems to have such a low view of the Japanese people.

Fair enough, but then wouldn't you say that boiling down the Japanese to 10 words is also rather overly simplistic and doesn't reflect the diversity that exists in all countries (Japan and Belgium included).

I have no issue with this thread per se, but I don't think we will learn anything from it that we don't already know.

Glenn
Jul 1, 2006, 12:32
I live in perhaps the worst mainly English speaking place on Earth for that (Hawaii). You're lucky to find anyone working a full day. There's a restaurant with delicious food across the street. I go down there at 16:00 for my break every day, and they are always closed, yet the sign still says open until 17:00.

"I no late! I on Hawai'i time!" I believe is the saying there.

Maciamo
Jul 1, 2006, 18:45
So which cities did you spend at when you were a kid?

None. I never really lived in a city as a kid.

Maciamo
Jul 1, 2006, 18:52
-Punctual (definitely)

I have my reserves on this. If I agree that most Japanese business people tend to be punctual (for work related matters at least), I have found that housewives tend to be as late as in Latin countries (5 to 15 min) to appointments (with friends, to private English lessons...). I have met a few Japanese (I admit it was a minority) who were almost always late at appointment (for lessons) - and when I say late, it is typically 15 min to 1h late ! Some don't even call to notify that they are not coming (one of them was an ANA flight attendant, which was even more suprising as her job was the ultimate customer-oriented job). In my experience real lower class Japanese (of which I met only a few) completely lacked the discipline of punctuality - which is maybe why they ended up with petty jobs and money problems.

So, overall it is true that the Japanese as a nation are more punctual than many other nation's people, but I find this qualifier to apply to a lesser percentage of the population than the ones I chose. I would say that the Japanese are most punctual when they are worried/anxious about being criticised (mostly at work) or when they think it is disrespectful to be late (which highly depends on your relation with the person you are meeting or have a deadline with).

Maciamo
Jul 1, 2006, 18:59
Hawaii is famous for being easy going. I have never seen shops closed when they should be open in Belgium; at best some might close 5min early when there are no customers (but more actually stay open a bit later).

Maciamo
Jul 1, 2006, 19:11
I don't entirely agree. We're talking about being able to identify national characteristics. I'm English, and long before I left England I could have told you 10 adjectives I felt described our national character. Whether or not I would be right, doesn't matter. It doesn't mean I can't try.
I never said they couldn't try. I just asked them in my OP to specify that they had never been abroad (or in Japan). I was interested to see your views on the English national character, so I started a thread about it here (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24026).

You yourself said you are interested in people's observations based on their experience. Well that counts true for all. If you start narrowing the type of experiences that permit someone to make such an observation, your two views conflict with each other.
It is just a thread. In this particular thread I want to hear about what people think based on real experiences.

Forgive my curiosity, but do you never miss an opportunity to bash the Japanese for being prejudiced against foreigners? Perhaps you're misunderstood, or don't do it intentionally (maybe I'm missing something here), but I'm surprised that the admin of a Japanese forum seems to have such a low view of the Japanese people.
Is this a low view ? Did I list only negative things in my 10 adjectives ? No. My views are actually much more objective and balanced that one may think considering my negative experiences in my last 2 years in Japan.

Fair enough, but then wouldn't you say that boiling down the Japanese to 10 words is also rather overly simplistic and doesn't reflect the diversity that exists in all countries (Japan and Belgium included).
Of course it is ! But believe me it is already difficult enough for most people. We are not making a scientific study. I just want to know how people have felt about the Japanese based on their own experiences and compared to the people in their own country. If you want to write a detailed study on the topic that is not to simplified, you are free to do so and post it on the forum. I am actually looking forward to it.

I have no issue with this thread per se, but I don't think we will learn anything from it that we don't already know.
It depends mainly on the contributions that are being made. I am still waiting for yours... Admit that it is not so easy to choose the 10 most suitable adjectives to describe a whole national character. That's the difficulty that makes this kind of thread interesting. If you don't like it, then pass your way. You don't have to reply or like all threads on the forum.

caster51
Jul 1, 2006, 20:11
Maciamo, you are really a poor guy.
your prejudice is more than a racist one.
You try to generalize everything and to put it in your frame by your supremacy.

Silverpoint
Jul 1, 2006, 20:15
I would say that the Japanese are most punctual when they are worried/anxious about being criticised (mostly at work) or when they think it is disrespectful to be late.

I think you could make that point about anyone.

Maciamo
Jul 1, 2006, 20:25
Maciamo, you are really a poor guy.
your prejudice is more than a racist one.
You try to generalize everything and to put it in your frame by your supremacy.

Could you explain what makes you think so and why ?

changedonrequest
Jul 1, 2006, 20:54
To get back on topic;

self-effacing
polite
understated
generous
forgiving
stubborn (ganko)
shy
intranssient
subdued
selfish

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 00:03
Hachiro, what make you see the Japanese as "stubborn" ? My impression was rather the opposite, they usually don't insist over an argument (probably due to low self-esteem and an urge not to confront people). Socially, they often do what other people want what seems to be as an very flexible manner.

As for self-effacing, shy and subdued (almost the same thing), it is mostly young males and older females. Young women (especially if they are beautiful) tend to be more outgoing. But the most confident and even pushy people in Japanese society are older men (especially if they have some status).

DoctorP
Jul 2, 2006, 03:01
Hachiro, what make you see the Japanese as "stubborn" ? My impression was rather the opposite, they usually don't insist over an argument (probably due to low self-esteem and an urge not to confront people). Socially, they often do what other people want what seems to be as an very flexible manner.

I have to agree with Hachiro here. Maybe it is because you never really had friends while you were in Japan, but more of a business relationship, but I find many of my Japanese/Okinawan (there is a difference) friends to be quite stubborn.

On the punctual part, I find Japanese to be quite punctual most of the time, no matter what the reason. Okinawans on the other hand are very laid back and time really has a different meaning to them. I rarely find them in a hurry to get something done and they show up quite late at times with a quick gomenasai that usually seems like more of a routine than an actual feeling.

osias
Jul 2, 2006, 04:47
"The actual people who live in Japan are not unlike the general run of English people; that is to say, they are extremely commonplace, and have nothing curious or extraordinary about them." Oscar Wilde

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 05:00
Rather than stubborn (ganko), I would say that they are capricious (wagamama).

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 05:06
"The actual people who live in Japan are not unlike the general run of English people; that is to say, they are extremely commonplace, and have nothing curious or extraordinary about them." Oscar Wilde

Given the huge difference of mentality between young and old Japanese, I can only imagine that Oscar Wilde's generation of Japanese was even further away from modern society. Victorian Britain was also a far cry from today's Britain... Just think of how a video clip of Robbie Williams would be considered in Oscar Wilde's days...

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 05:29
There is an 11th character trait which I have forgotten and really should make the list : materialistic.

misa.j
Jul 2, 2006, 06:21
See, "materialistic" did not stand out to me as one of them because of the Japanese I know are less so than the Americans I've met.

Stubbornness can be somehow portraited from them being introverted, I think. It can be very hard to hear what they are really thinking sometimes.

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 06:38
See, "materialistic" did not stand out to me as one of them because of the Japanese I know are less so than the Americans I've met.

Agreed that I also see Americans as more materialistic. But the Japanese seem so much more materialistic in average than Europeans (esp. about luxury items and crazes).

Stubbornness can be somehow portraited from them being introverted, I think. It can be very hard to hear what they are really thinking sometimes.

That would be almost the opposite meaning of what "stubborn" means for me. Someone is stubborn if they won't let go an argument, desire or caprice - but in any case they clearly know and say what they want. That doesn't sound Japanese at all to me, justly because many Japanese don't say clearly want they want.

GodEmperorLeto
Jul 2, 2006, 14:19
Agreed that I also see Americans as more materialistic. But the Japanese seem so much more materialistic in average than Europeans (esp. about luxury items and crazes).
I wouldn't say Americans are more materialistic, but it's just a different kind of materialism. Our society has made plenty of luxury items "necessities". Not everybody needs a cellphone, but many of us have become convinced we do, because they are so damn convenient (although annoying). Throw in a healthy dose of "keep up with the Joneses" and the situation gets worse.

I dunno if I can come up with 10 characteristics, but I'll try:

1) Formal
2) Subtle
3) Efficient
4) Cautious
5) Brave
6) Insulated
7) Homogeneous
8) Stratified
9) Evolving
10) Adaptive

godppgo
Jul 2, 2006, 15:27
There is an 11th character trait which I have forgotten and really should make the list : materialistic.

That I have to agree.

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 18:11
6) Insulated
7) Homogeneous
8) Stratified
9) Evolving

Insulated, homogeneous and stratified describe Japanese society, not so much the national character (i.e. how the people are). You cannot say, "Oh is is homogemous, like most other Japanese"...

What do you mean by evolving ? Fast changing society ?

pipokun
Jul 2, 2006, 19:23
I perhaps told you before, but your partner's and your field research on the Japanese community in your country would sound more interesting than just a bit too generalised ideas upon Japanese in Japan.

Maciamo
Jul 2, 2006, 19:58
I perhaps told you before, but your partner's and your field research on the Japanese community in your country would sound more interesting than just a bit too generalised ideas upon Japanese in Japan.

I did post a similar thread yesterday about the Belgian national character (http://www.eupedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24028).

caster51
Nov 19, 2009, 11:58
this one is really interesting
http://www.phawker.com/2009/11/18/letter-from-tokyo-65-reasons-why-i-love-living-here-why-japan-is-better-than-america-and-why-tokyo-is-one-of-the-greatest-cities-in-the-world/

RolandtheHeadless
Nov 20, 2009, 11:35
Generalities always fail on the exceptions, but I think most Japanese share most of these characteristics:

1. Honest (in the law-abiding sense).

2. Dishonest (in the sense of not always giving you the truth, even about important matters).

3. Hard-working.

4. Diligent. (Precise attention to detail).

5. Peaceful.

6. Group dependent (conformist).

7. Gracious (especially the women).

8. Polite (once they've formed any sort of social link with you).

9. Rude (with anonymous strangers).

10. Inefficient. At times you can see quite a few Japanese working very hard, and accomplishing relatively little.

Garminforerunner
May 16, 2011, 02:29
Either b/c you want the tax break, or b/c you're sympathetic to people in their situation. I've never seen one Japanese person give a homeless person anything... not even a look.

Maciamo
May 18, 2011, 23:42
Either b/c you want the tax break, or b/c you're sympathetic to people in their situation. I've never seen one Japanese person give a homeless person anything... not even a look.

This is because most Japanese homeless are not beggars. They are not necessarily destitute. Many have bank accounts with enough money to survive with this lifestyle. Being homeless for a Japanese is often a personal lifestyle choice.

tripo
Mar 16, 2013, 20:00
I would say that Japanese to me are more like:

-Punctual
-Respectful
-Hard working
-Prejudiced
-Clean
-Organized
-Curious
-Kind
-Caring
-Very formal

Maciamo
Mar 16, 2013, 20:24
I would say that Japanese to me are more like:

-Punctual
-Respectful
-Hard working
-Prejudiced
-Clean
-Organized
-Curious
-Kind
-Caring
-Very formal

I agree, except about the 'curious' part, except if you mean about trying new kinds of food.