PDA

View Full Version : Saddam novel go on sale in Japan

Maciamo
May 19, 2006, 16:20
BBC News : 'Saddam novel' on sale in Tokyo (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4996116.stm)

A novel said to have been written by former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has gone on sale in Tokyo.

The manuscript of the book, called Devil's Dance, was carried out of Iraq by one of Saddam Hussein's daughters, the Japanese publishers say.

Saddam Hussein has been credited with writing several novels. This one, says his daughter, was finished a day before the US invasion that toppled him.

The work has been translated by a Japanese journalist.

The journalist says she obtained the manuscript from one of Saddam Hussein's lawyers, who gave her permission to publish it.
It is the second work attributed to the former Iraqi leader which has gone on sale in Japan.

It seems that the book has not been translated into English yet. I wonder if that book would be popular in the US...

Glenn
May 19, 2006, 16:31
I would assume it would, if for no other reason than that people like to know the trash that's being talked about them, which is what I assume this novel is. I think it would be somewhat similar to the Howard Stern situation, where people who hate him listen to hear what he'll say next.

Mikawa Ossan
May 19, 2006, 20:48
It'll probably be looked upon very similarly to Mein Kaumpf (or however you spell it). Popular might not be the right word, but a good number of people will most likely read it.

Maciamo
May 20, 2006, 03:39
Mein Kampf is not a fiction novel but more like an autobiographical essay.

Ma Cherie
May 20, 2006, 04:39
Saddam Hussein has supposidly written other novels (can't think of their names). But they were romance novels. :souka: :mad: Well, I don't see any reason not to read it.

Dutch Baka
May 20, 2006, 05:00
I just wonder WHY Japan is the first country that will sell the novel... I would rather think of middle east countries or something, but Japan? I don't really see the link.

Da Monstar
May 20, 2006, 05:07
could this be the coming Iraq version of "Mein Kampf"?

Maciamo
May 20, 2006, 05:39
I just wonder WHY Japan is the first country that will sell the novel... I would rather think of middle east countries or something, but Japan? I don't really see the link.
They say in the BBC article that it's because a Japanese journalist in Iraq translated it into Japanese. It's maybe the first translation. However, other Arabic speakers can of course read the original.

Mikawa Ossan
May 20, 2006, 07:07
Mein Kampf is not a fiction novel but more like an autobiographical essay.
I understand that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

My point is just that, Mein Kampf has been read by many people in America, but no one would ever call it "popular". Saddam's book may be the same in this aspect if it is ever released in the US.

Uncle Frank
May 20, 2006, 07:10
I would worry a bit about where the money goes to from the sale of such books.

Frank

:? :okashii: :worried: :clueless:

Maciamo
May 20, 2006, 17:18
I would worry a bit about where the money goes to from the sale of such books.

Mostly to the translator and publishing company, with som royalties to Saddam Hussein. It's not because people are "evil" that different laws apply to them. If Bush was to write a book all by himself (probably will never happen :blush: ), he would also get royalties despite being as "evil" as Saddam.

Maciamo
May 20, 2006, 17:21
I understand that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point.
My point is just that, Mein Kampf has been read by many people in America, but no one would ever call it "popular". Saddam's book may be the same in this aspect if it is ever released in the US.
The difference is that Mein Kampf helped people understand Hitler's political ideas and decisions. It really explains the evolution of his psycholgy since childhood. Saddam wrote several books, and as they are not autobiographical or even non-fiction, it doesn't tell us more about the political leader than Hitler's paintings.

On a side note, I see very little point in comparing Saddam Hussein to Hitler. Saddam never really invaded any country apart from tiny Kuwait, and didn't commit any holocaust or promulgated any racist theory. They were both dictators, but very different ones.

Mikawa Ossan
May 20, 2006, 18:19
The difference is that Mein Kampf helped people understand Hitler's political ideas and decisions. It really explains the evolution of his psycholgy since childhood. Saddam wrote several books, and as they are not autobiographical or even non-fiction, it doesn't tell us more about the political leader than Hitler's paintings.I agree, but that has nothing to do with my point, either.
On a side note, I see very little point in comparing Saddam Hussein to Hitler. Saddam never really invaded any country apart from tiny Kuwait, and didn't commit any holocaust or promulgated any racist theory. They were both dictators, but very different ones.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am not doing so.