PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Dialects and where do i go?

Mystic
Feb 5, 2006, 06:04
Okay, i am going to University soon to learn Chinese but the problem is, which dialect, mandarin or cantonese? *if that's the right spelling*

I am going to do a double honours with international business but have heard that mandarin is the more business language of China is that true? The only problem is is that i eventually want to work in Hong Kong, but i have heard rumours that they mainly speak cantonese there, is this also true? In which case does the fact that the business language is mandarin apply in Hong Kong?

If this post makes any sense, can someone reply.

bossel
Feb 5, 2006, 12:48
Okay, i am going to University soon to learn Chinese but the problem is, which dialect, mandarin or cantonese? *if that's the right spelling*
I am going to do a double honours with international business but have heard that mandarin is the more business language of China is that true? The only problem is is that i eventually want to work in Hong Kong, but i have heard rumours that they mainly speak cantonese there, is this also true? In which case does the fact that the business language is mandarin apply in Hong Kong?
If this post makes any sense, can someone reply.
Don't know about any particular business language in China, but if you want to do business with mainland Chinese, Mandarin is the way to go. If you only want to do business in HongKong, Cantonese may suffice, but with Mandarin you will find your way around there as well.

ƒJƒ‰ƒ€
Feb 5, 2006, 12:53
Madarin would be your best bet to learn. As it is the official language of PRC you will be able to do business everywhere in china. Cantonese is indeed the language of Hong Kong and the near by Guangdong province. However many (especially younger people) can speak mandarin and in business this number is even greater. I would strongly suggest learning mandarin and while you are there pick up Cantonese you will still be able to do business and you will have learnt a language (mandarin) that can get you around the whole of china and do business from the top to the bottom of the country. Something that may cause problems for you is that mandarin uses simplified chinese whereas in hong kong traditional characters are used (in mos cases)

Supervin
Feb 22, 2006, 09:16
Well if your final destination is Hong Kong, where you want to work, then I'd say definitely Cantonese.

Next to no one speaks Mandarin ordinarily, except during business deals or with clients from the Mainland. Everyone speaks Cantonese to each other in Hong Kong.

However, Cantonese is much more difficult to learn than Mandarin because of the tones and the prevalent use of slang. But it's worth it considering you'll mix in very well with the local Hong Kong people.