PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Maciamo

GoldCoinLover
Jan 4, 2006, 05:57
Maciamo, i just wanted to say, good job! I LOVE your post, especially about predjuce agianst foreigners, its so true! Of the few ive spoken to in america, who know no english, they are the same to me. Even when I try to speak in japanese

I ask you this, japan is a great country, but with your posts, it doesn't seem like your having a very good or fun time there. Why do you want to live there?

RockLee
Jan 4, 2006, 09:34
Maybe you will like it in Japan.Not all Japanese are like that, don't go off generalizing and think every Japanese is like this.These are Maciamo's experiences, but other people have different opinions and don't feel the same as Maciamo.You have to experience it before you can give a clear image of how you percept Japanese people.Do you think because you spoke to 3 or 4 Japanese people you know every one of them? If you really do then I suggest you wake up and smell the coffee!

Gaijinian
Jan 4, 2006, 10:16
Maciamo is no longer in Japan, GCL...

Anyway, if I were going to study in Japan (I'm not by the way; I'm going to Taiwan), I would tell everyone that I am German, and speak no English. Then, I'd kindly ask them to speak Japanese.

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 11:34
That could be a problem if they know some German, though. :p

Maciamo, i just wanted to say, good job! I LOVE your post, especially about predjuce agianst foreigners, its so true! Of the few ive spoken to in america, who know no english, they are the same to me. Even when I try to speak in japanese

I ask you this, japan is a great country, but with your posts, it doesn't seem like your having a very good or fun time there. Why do you want to live there?

I don't see why this wasn't posted in the thread you're talking about. That's usually how forums work -- you respond to a post by posting in the thread it's in.

Bucko
Jan 4, 2006, 12:15
Just out of curiosity, why has Maciamo gone back to Europe? I had no Internet for about five weeks and have come back to find my favourite poster/(ranter) gone.

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 12:24
http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20844

Gaijinian
Jan 4, 2006, 13:29
Glenn:
That could be a problem if they know some German, though.
Yeah, true... Then I'll say something like 我是中國人・・・我不説德語。再見!

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 13:31
If you could get by with that, then they probably wouldn't try speaking English to you in the first place! :D:D

Mike Cash
Jan 4, 2006, 13:49
Just out of curiosity, why has Maciamo gone back to Europe? I had no Internet for about five weeks and have come back to find my favourite poster/(ranter) gone.

That Japan and its people irritated him enough to inspire so many rants should provide you with more than enough info to figure out why he went back to Europe. I spotted it months before it happened, although I didn't think he would actually leave for at least another year. He did well to make it as long as he did; very few people do.

Elizabeth
Jan 4, 2006, 17:23
That could be a problem if they know some German, though. :p

I don't see why this wasn't posted in the thread you're talking about. That's usually how forums work -- you respond to a post by posting in the thread it's in.Given that they are all so similar in nature I think this was more a response of general agreement to Maciamo's positions and experiences.

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 17:27
If that's true then why did he say this:

I LOVE your post, especially about predjuce agianst foreigners, its so true!

That indicates that there is one particular post he's talking about, not the general sentiment of a multitude of posts.

Elizabeth
Jan 4, 2006, 17:34
If that's true then why did he say this:

That indicates that there is one particular post he's talking about, not the general sentiment of a multitude of posts.
Perhaps just a typo. There's nothing in the rest of it to indicate otherwise. Anyway, Maciamo's musings are so interchangeable the responses don't tend to vary a lot from thread to thread that this 'response' could be moved or not to any or all with little impact.

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 17:35
The same typo twice? I doubt it. I find it consistent enough to show that he had a particular post in mind when he wrote that.

Elizabeth
Jan 4, 2006, 17:38
The same typo twice? I doubt it. I find it consistent enough to show that he had a particular post in mind when he wrote that.
Then try finding where it is that Maciamo has felt wronged and aggrieved as a foreigner and stick it there. :D

Glenn
Jan 4, 2006, 17:42
That's part of the problem. I know he's said it many times, which is why I didn't even bother trying to guess which post in particular GCL was commenting on. That still doesn't mean that GCL didn't have one particular one in mind when he was responding.

Mike Cash
Jan 4, 2006, 17:43
Then try finding where it is that Maciamo has felt wronged and aggrieved as a foreigner and stick it there.

That would require the butterfly to stop flapping about and light on a particular twig. Which is expecting a bit much, I think.

pipokun
Jan 4, 2006, 19:40
Glenn:
Yeah, true... Then I'll say something like 我是中� 人・・・我不説コ語。再見!

Just speak Japanese, and people reply you back in Japanese.
Or don't forget to bring a pen and paper for your communication in writing when you try to communicate in Taiwanese here. Simplified characters are more difficult for Japanese than traditonal ones.

Elizabeth
Jan 4, 2006, 22:55
Have you tried a Japanese restaurant ? :p If there are some in Glendale, GCL, with Japanese speaking staff....that may be the safest place to try out the few sentences and phrases in your repertoire.

It's a hard truth to swallow, but basically you aren't going to get a lot of respect here or there until your skills improve and you feel comfortable having a meaningful (read understandable) conversation. I mean last time I was in Japan I had one guy on the train to the airport, obviously full of foreign tourists, who looked uncomfortable sitting across from me until he realized that I could read the paper and order my own food. It's extremely rude and disgraceful (and fortunately, extremely rare) but all the complaining and ranting in the world isn't going to any thing .... the only thing that will is studying hard and seriously. :note:

GoldCoinLover
Jan 5, 2006, 05:44
It's a hard truth to swallow, but basically you aren't going to get a lot of respect here or there until your skills improve and you feel comfortable having a meaningful (read understandable) conversation. :

Oh, really? Just because I can't have a long conversation in japanese with someone I'm not going to get respect here? (That is the most bullsh*t I ever heard, it takes a LOT of hard work to do this, and alot of time)

If you mean HERE, then, it takes even more work, because you have to write kanji. This has really pushed me over the edge, elizabeth. And I've lost all my respect for you, entirely.

Fuc* this forum. I'm not coming here again, (This thread wasn't even in fact about my japanese learning, yet you and others somehow like to morph it into it ! :okashii: :souka: )

I'm getting a japanese book (And if no one here is sending me one, I'll buy one) I don't even need this forum.

Sorry, it's just, one too many straws for me. It's obvious, you people hate me. You won't even respect it that I TRY to speak japanese, and since I can't a write a long (written) conversation here, I don't deserve any respect?

GoldCoinLover
Jan 5, 2006, 05:48

It was a TYPO.

You know, I write this thread, to thank someone, and I get flamed. Very fun. Oh yeah, it makes me wnat to come back here, again and again and again.

:wave:

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 06:04
Oh, really? Just because I can't have a long conversation in japanese with someone I'm not going to get respect here? (That is the most bullsh*t I ever heard, it takes a LOT of hard work to do this, and alot of time)

If you mean HERE, then, it takes even more work, because you have to write kanji. This has really pushed me over the edge, elizabeth. And I've lost all my respect for you, entirely.

Fuc* this forum. I'm not coming here again, (This thread wasn't even in fact about my japanese learning, yet you and others somehow like to morph it into it ! :okashii: :souka: )

I'm getting a japanese book (And if no one here is sending me one, I'll buy one) I don't even need this forum.

Sorry, it's just, one too many straws for me. It's obvious, you people hate me. You won't even respect it that I TRY to speak japanese, and since I can't a write a long (written) conversation here, I don't deserve any respect?
I actually meant here in the US talking to Japanese people, not by us on this forum. It may be a day late and dollar short -- but I am very sorry if there was any misunderstanding :relief: :sorry:

GoldCoinLover
Jan 5, 2006, 06:09
I actually meant here in the US talking to Japanese people, not by us on this forum. It may be a day late and dollar short -- but I am very sorry if there was any misunderstanding :relief: :sorry:

No problem. I had a feeling it was a
誤解. I should be able to hold conversations with them better, but at least I try.

Nevertheless, I'm tired of this forum and getting attacked/flamed, etc.

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 06:20
No problem. I had a feeling it was a
誤解. I should be able to hold conversations with them better, but at least I try.

Nevertheless, I'm tired of this forum and getting attacked/flamed, etc.
Just ignore them or stick primarily to the language section and gradually fan out -- or up or down -- from there. :p I think a lot of the responses you get now are actually based on your past behavior, too. So even if you have changed it takes most of them a little while to notice...:blush: It still isn't any reason to quit :-)

kirei_na_me
Jan 5, 2006, 06:24
I don't see why this wasn't posted in the thread you're talking about. That's usually how forums work -- you respond to a post by posting in the thread it's in.

Can I just say that I agree completely?

That is all.

Mycernius
Jan 5, 2006, 06:42
Wouldn't this had been better as a PM instead of a thread?
GCL you need to calm down and try not to take offence so easily.

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 06:55
Wouldn't this had been better as a PM instead of a thread?
GCL you need to calm down and try not to take offence so easily.
I agree. And I think everyone also knows the setup of a forum is to respond to the thread. Which is why I was sure there had to be a reason this was here. In my opinion, he was trying to express his concordance with Maciamo's opinion and start a discussion on Japanese speakers not responding to him in their language and find out why he was still there. There are so many more offensive and lamer threads out there, at least this was positive to another member, I really don't get all this uproar over it....:? Someone should just change the post to posts and get over it already ! :-)

Dutch Baka
Jan 5, 2006, 07:03

How many times have you said this before?? please think about what you post sometimes GCL, you seem like a nice person, but you post a lot of bshi-t sometimes if you ask me, sorry to say it like this, but i had enough of you putting up threads that doesn't make sense, and than say things like Fuc* this forum. because you do it yourself, so please think a bit about what you post sometimes.

Ma Cherie
Jan 5, 2006, 07:18
How many times have you said this before?? please think about what you post sometimes GCL, you seem like a nice person, but you post a lot of bshi-t sometimes if you ask me, sorry to say it like this, but i had enough of you putting up threads that doesn't make sense, and than say things like Fuc* this forum. because you do it yourself, so please think a bit about what you post sometimes.

And I'm very sure you meant this in the nicest way possible, didn't you Dutch? :blush:

GCL if I were you, I'd post my questions about japanese in the "Need a Word or Phrase Translated thread" (I think that's what it's called:? ) So you won't have to start a new thread. :-)

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 07:23
And I'm very sure you meant this in the nicest way possible, didn't you Dutch? :blush:
Yeah, I think a lot of what you post is truly stupid and don't waste my time reading it. :p Everyone should follow the same easy to understand and implement policy imho.

RockLee
Jan 5, 2006, 09:01
Yeah, I think a lot of what you post is truly stupid and don't waste my time reading it. :p Everyone should follow the same easy to understand and implement policy imho.Now I'm confused lol, who are you replying to ? :evil: Nosy or Dutch?

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 09:53
Now I'm confused lol, who are you replying to ? :evil: Nosy or Dutch?Hehe, who is Nosy ? :eek: Since I can't seem to stop myself from offending people today and I think it is a trend that is catching on. :relief:
I should have said 'also stupid,' but it is all in good fun, really, and was just a play on his name. :box: :lol:

Mike Cash
Jan 5, 2006, 17:47

This is the sort of behavior I was talking about when I said I'm tired of riding his roller coaster of disturbed emotions. Even the most patient of people eventually get fed up with manipulative drama queens, and I'm far from being the most patient person in the world.

I think that he spends half his time looking for encouragement, half his time looking to others to provide convenient excuses for him to give up, and the remaining half whining about how poorly everybody in the world treats him and stamping his little foot like an extraordinarily petulant and immature child.

Mercurial mood swings, I can live without.

Mike Cash
Jan 5, 2006, 17:49
Yeah, I think a lot of what you post is truly stupid and don't waste my time reading it. :p Everyone should follow the same easy to understand and implement policy imho.

Now that is the way to write--peppery and to the point. Mush-and-milk journalism gives me the fan-tods.
- "Journalism in Tennessee"
- Mark Twain

Elizabeth
Jan 5, 2006, 20:36
This is the sort of behavior I was talking about when I said I'm tired of riding his roller coaster of disturbed emotions. Even the most patient of people eventually get fed up with manipulative drama queens, and I'm far from being the most patient person in the world.

I think that he spends half his time looking for encouragement, half his time looking to others to provide convenient excuses for him to give up, and the remaining half whining about how poorly everybody in the world treats him and stamping his little foot like an extraordinarily petulant and immature child.

Mercurial mood swings, I can live without.
I couldn't live with it either, but since this is online I feel somewhat removed from the immediacy of the situation. And having past the point....what, only 2-3 short weeks ago....of being asked to translate chat lines, with minor outbreaks and commotions, things do seem have settled into a more of an equilibrium.

これからも早く上達するように勉強を続けましょうね。

Jack
Jan 27, 2006, 21:48

I thought it was just me that noticed it, a little disagreement and he's slating the forum, Theres nothing wrong with the forum my friend, I think the problem is a little closer to home.

(this thread seemed to be designed around the fact of thanking maciamo, were it not a justifiable action to pm him personally).

I just think Mike took out his hammer and hit the nail on the head here.

(this might be reviving an old thread, but im slow and take my time writing)

Mars Man
Feb 1, 2006, 16:35
THanks !! This is to change the cover story only.