PDA

View Full Version : Mascots for the 2008 Olympics, do you like them?

quiet sunshine
Nov 12, 2005, 14:39
Five friendlies:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/11/xin_121102112126671323633.jpg
News link:Beijing unveils mascots for its Olympics (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/11/content_493981.htm)
How do you feel about the mascots? Do you like them?

Index
Nov 12, 2005, 16:33
Not bad, but too cutesy I think.

Dutch Baka
Nov 12, 2005, 20:50
agree with Index, for a sport evenement like the Olimpics, they're to cute

RockLee
Nov 12, 2005, 21:34
We're talking about China, so it's ok I think.Chengdu Panda bears are Chinese afteral :-) They're also made in a typical Chinese style, I think we are used too much to western style mascots. :souka:

Maciamo
Nov 14, 2005, 18:36
I went to Beijing on the 11th to cast my vote on the mascots (er... sorry I mean I was in Beijing at the time and watch the events on CCTV).

They were justly saying on CCTV9 (in English) that China ought to choose mascots that look international so as to please everybody, and maybe could learn from mascots of previous Olympics. Yet, my impression is that the chosen mascots are very Chinese or East Asian in sensibility. We can see that modern China is going in the footsteps of Japan and South Korea, favouring cute, colourful and a bit childish characters. But I like them.

Mandylion
Nov 15, 2005, 02:32
I don't really mind these designs, but deep in my heart I question the need for mascots in the first place...

Elizabeth
Nov 15, 2005, 09:25
I went to Beijing on the 11th to cast my vote on the mascots (er... sorry I mean I was in Beijing at the time and watch the events on CCTV).

They were justly saying on CCTV9 (in English) that China ought to choose mascots that look international so as to please everybody, and maybe could learn from mascots of previous Olympics. Yet, my impression is that the chosen mascots are very Chinese or East Asian in sensibility. We can see that modern China is going in the footsteps of Japan and South Korea, favouring cute, colourful and a bit childish characters. But I like them.
The 1998 4 'Snowlet' Nagano mascots (owl-like cartoons) weren't fashionably cute at all in my opinion. On the contrary, they truly looked like they had been designed by children. Although I never saw peace, harmony and goodwill meant to be represented -- or even the Japanese word for snow in the names, come to think of it. :p

Maciamo
Nov 15, 2005, 10:11
I don't really mind these designs, but deep in my heart I question the need for mascots in the first place...

And what would you put on the t-shirts and other goodies ? The Olympics is more a commercial events than a sports one. That's why countries fight so hard to host them. They explained on CCTV9 that Australia had chosen 3 mascots instead of 1 or 2, as this way they could satisfy more people. Those who didn't like the first one could choose the 2nd, and if they didn't like it, they still had the 3rd. Collectors would buy all three. China understood that very well and chose 5 of them ! Business, business...

Maciamo
Nov 15, 2005, 10:12
The 1998 4 'Snowlet' Nagano mascots (owl-like cartoons) weren't fashionably cute at all in my opinion.

I was not referring to the Olympics only, but more to the anime/manga type of characters. Especially when we compare European (mostly Belgian) comics with East Asian ones.

quiet sunshine
Nov 15, 2005, 18:16
China understood that very well and chose 5 of them ! Business, business...
Yes, the number amazed many Chinese too. Lots of comments and seems many dislike them. To me they look cute and I like them, but I have no idea if they match well with the spirit of The Olympic. And I don't like their names...Moreover, if I didn't read the news I could only recognize the panda and swallow...:relief:

Kama
Nov 15, 2005, 19:50
I like them, not only because the yook cute, but I like the concept that they are more asian than european. I'd gladly buy one or even all of them depending on how they look like.

When they are starting to sell them? :-D

quiet sunshine
Nov 15, 2005, 20:02
Already began, just after the mascots were unveiled.

Kama
Nov 15, 2005, 20:24
So I have to search the net and buty it *mwahahahaha*

monrepo
Nov 16, 2005, 03:02
I think they're great. I like them.

Mandylion
Nov 16, 2005, 04:00
And what would you put on the t-shirts and other goodies ? The Olympics is more a commercial events than a sports one.

Yes, yes, I know it is :( In an ideal world it wouldn't.

bohrwen
Nov 27, 2005, 17:54
i like them.....but i think the color of the mascot is not good ...
after all ,it is not bad ,it was sale out in my city....

Wang
Dec 24, 2005, 09:39
Mascots for the 2008 Olympics, do you like them?

No I don't like them. The design style is strange in my opinion.

Nucifera
Dec 27, 2005, 13:10
Very nice, i like it~~~

nurizeko
Mar 7, 2006, 19:14
Five friendlies:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/11/xin_121102112126671323633.jpg
News link:Beijing unveils mascots for its Olympics (http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-11/11/content_493981.htm)
How do you feel about the mascots? Do you like them?

A horrid disturbing mix of telly-tubbies, and power-rangers, with a highly chinese slant.

Not to great really, and "friendlies" seems a bit wrong when regarding china of all countries.