PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite web browser ?

Maciamo
Sep 16, 2005, 20:01
I use several browser as a webmaster (to test that all works fine in all browsers). I have tried Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Netscape and Konqueror. I haven't really tried Safari (just once), as it runs on Macs.

My favourite is Opera, because the buttons (e.g. "search") are nicer, windows can be open within the browser (I think only IE does not have this function), and it is more user-friendly and more customizable than the others. What's more, Opera keeps the pages you were browsing in memory when you close it, so it opens again at the exact same page (unrefreshed) when you restart it. So if you close you browser by mistake, you can reopen all the pages you were viewing in just one click !

Colin
Sep 17, 2005, 02:58
Since so many sites are geared around Internet Explorer (or, at least tested primarily with it) I generally use that. The IE interface is rather dated, however, so I use an IE shell: Maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/). It's great for tabbed browsing (better than FireFox's tabbing, IMHO) and has a slew of other functionalities.

Ardeo
Sep 17, 2005, 03:41
I use Firefox because of the security and plugin features. I love tabbed browsing - don't know how I lived without it for so long using IE. If a site is IE centric then I have a plugin that lets me open that site with the Microsoft browser whenever I type it into Firefox. The popup plugins for Firefox work like a charm too. I haven't so much as seen a popup since I started using them....I hate popups as much as anyone....it really is a life saver.
I do wish there was a way to save my browsing when I close Firefox, like Maciamo mentioned about Opera....that would be icing on the cake.

bossel
Sep 17, 2005, 06:14
Firefox, definitely.

I do wish there was a way to save my browsing when I close Firefox, like Maciamo mentioned about Opera....that would be icing on the cake.
I personally don't use it, but session-saver (http://kb.mozillazine.org/SessionSaver) may be what you want. You find pretty much everything you want or need in some FF extension (or plug-in).

That's why I don't understand...

[Opera] is more user-friendly and more customizable than the others.
I don't get the impression that Opera is as customisable as FF. Esp. as a webmaster you find so many useful extensions that Opera is hardly a match. Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.

smurf
Sep 17, 2005, 06:16
I like internet explorer the best.

Maciamo
Sep 17, 2005, 11:08
That's why I don't understand...

I don't get the impression that Opera is as customisable as FF. Esp. as a webmaster you find so many useful extensions that Opera is hardly a match. Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.

Errors on this JREF page ?

I don't have this plugin yet. I've just checked the Firefox Extensions and I have to admit that I had never seen there were so many hundreds of them.

I was referring more to the default options that come with the browser. In that case Firefox doesn't have many of them (now I think I've just understood why - there would be too many of them !)

Ardeo
Sep 17, 2005, 14:35
Session Saver.....Thanks a Million for that. I used an extensions like that a few years back for Mozilla Suite and had forgotten all about it till Maciamo posted about how Opera had that feature....Thanks again.

White Comet
Sep 17, 2005, 17:06
IE. My skool has IE and Netscape but it neva work and IE is the only one i'ved used

Maciamo
Sep 17, 2005, 19:56
Other good stuff about Opera :

- "New page" button conveniently located next to URL (just found that the same was possible in Firefox by right clicking next to the tabs - but needs to activate tab all the time if only one is open)
- when clicking on the URL, a window appears below with the options "Home", "Top 10" and "Bookmarks". Very convenient.

Does anyone knows how to move the "Quick Links" above the Location Bar in Firefox ?

RockLee
Sep 17, 2005, 20:48
Other good stuff about Opera :

- "New page" button conveniently located next to URL (just found that the same was possible in Firefox by right clicking next to the tabs - but needs to activate tab all the time if only one is open)
- when clicking on the URL, a window appears below with the options "Home", "Top 10" and "Bookmarks". Very convenient.

Does anyone knows how to move the "Quick Links" above the Location Bar in Firefox ?Click the 3rd tab, then move the pointer over the first button and select the 3rd again.Now you can click that bar and move it up :)

Maciamo
Sep 18, 2005, 00:25
Click the 3rd tab, then move the pointer over the first button and select the 3rd again.Now you can click that bar and move it up :)

Mmm... Couldn't do it. :erm:

epigene
Sep 18, 2005, 00:32
Hello Maciamo-san! :wave:

I've been a Firefox user for the past couple of years and like it a lot because of the extensions that you can choose to fit your needs. Because of low vision, IE makes me mad!! Even the largest font size is small for me... :souka: TextZoom extension for Firefox works great for me.

I like Session Saver, too, since I can choose to go back to the previous session or clear it and start from home page.

However, I have started using Opera for the last couple of months, because it presents a very balanced magnified view of your website on my 19" LCD monitor. Firefox makes the font size large alright, but not the rest. Each line becomes too short and very difficult to read... :mad:

The problem with Opera is that it cannot detect Japanese encoding automatically like Firefox. I have problems reading certain sites (like Yahoo Groups). That's why I have to switch between the two... I wish Firefox had an extension like IE View for switching to Opera!! (Slim chance, I know... :souka: )

RockLee
Sep 18, 2005, 00:39
Mmm... Couldn't do it. :erm:which language do you have for the browser? I might be able to help you better then :)

Maciamo
Sep 18, 2005, 08:38
One more thing about Firefox, does anyone know how to configure it so that any links open in a tab instead of a new window ? In the options, under tab browsing, there is "open links from other applications in" and I chose "a new tab in the most recent window". However, if the link specifies to open a new window (target="_blank"), like all the links in this forum, Firefox opens a new window. It doesn't do that in Opera. Is there a way to solve that problem ?

bossel
Sep 18, 2005, 09:05
This can be easily done in FF as well. Just rightklick on a toolbar, click "customize" & drag&drop the icon to where you want it.

Does anyone knows how to move the "Quick Links" above the Location Bar in Firefox ?
Didn't even know that this is possible. What I heard was that the reordering of toolbars should only be implemented in FF 2.0 (or maybe 1.5?).

there is "open links from other applications in" and I chose "a new tab in the most recent window". However, if the link specifies to open a new window (target="_blank"), like all the links in this forum, Firefox opens a new window. It doesn't do that in Opera. Is there a way to solve that problem ?
It's just from other applications. If eg. you click on a link in Word this works. For this to work with _blank links you need to do this:

"Reveal More Tab/Window Options

There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Reveal more tab/window options:
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs", true);

Restart Firefox and go to Tools > Options... (Edit > Preferences... under Linux and Mac OS X), select Advanced and click on Tabbed Browsing. The following options should be visible:
Force links that open new windows to open in:
the same tab/window as the link
a new tab

The options should be self-explanatory."

Maciamo
Sep 18, 2005, 09:46
This can be easily done in FF as well. Just rightklick on a toolbar, click "customize" & drag&drop the icon to where you want it.

OK, got it now.

"Reveal More Tab/Window Options

There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Reveal more tab/window options:
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs", true);

Thanks ! I also found this here (http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips#beh_tabbedbrowsingoptions)

First, it didn't work because they said to add the user.js in /profiles/, but in my FF version the directory is named /greprefs/

Oddly, it also didn't work by editing the about:config before I found about the /greprefs/ :souka:

I now have a satisfactorily customised Firefox ! :-)

Maciamo
Sep 18, 2005, 09:51
Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.

I have tried the HTML Validator. It's useful, but a bit outdated it seems. Many tags are not recognised (input, embed...), as well as some perfectly valid code (why could an image have a align="center" ?). That is why so many warnings are shown.

lastmagi
Oct 27, 2005, 01:16
Right now I'm on Camino, for the Mac. IE had a whole slew of problems on both my former PC and my current mac, so that was completely ruled out. Safari, my default Mac browser was good at first, but there were some minor issues, like freezing, so I'm seeing if I can take a break from it. I haven't tried Mozilla Firefox on the PC, but I heard it was good so got it for my mac. It didn't quite hold up to my standards, and it was pretty buggy, so that quickly over with. I might have tried Opera before on the PC, but I don't remember why I never used it. And Netscape I just never tried before except maybe when I was in the high school computers.

So far, Camino's doing pretty well, although it seems to be taking a lot more resources on my already-slow computer than Safari.

Maciamo
Oct 27, 2005, 12:06
One bug I now have with Firefox is that I can't open it when I leave my PC on for too long and often switch between browsers. In that case (when I don't wnat to restart the PC) I use Opera.

Sensuikan San
Oct 27, 2005, 12:17
Firefox for this boy most of the time.

I virtually NEVER use IE! Security being the main problem ... "the Bill Gates Connection" being a close second ...!

Unfortunately some websites seem to be specifically written around IE - but then I switch to an IE shell ("The Crazy Browser") - because it will give me tabbed browsing.

But I do like Opera - an exceptionally good browser in so many respects.

ジョン

Carlson
Nov 17, 2005, 19:55
One More For Firefox

sadakoyamamura
Nov 18, 2005, 17:44
Well since I can't have my way *sigh*, I use MS IE. :(

Kinsao
Nov 30, 2005, 01:39
I use Firefox....

..... and on that note... some news from them:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4479412.stm

thomas
Nov 30, 2005, 09:51
I am not really fond of Mozilla/Firefox's rendering engine (that Gecko thing). I have been using AM Browser (www.ambrowser.com) (formerly known as Crazy Browser (http://www.crazybrowser.com/)) since many years. It's basically a IE skin allowing tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking. The .exe file is only 687kB in size. Strongly recommended.
:cool:

Riyko
Dec 1, 2005, 16:49
I use IE, I always have and I always will.

doinkies
Feb 17, 2006, 10:05
I use Firefox, though sometimes I use IE as well.

Yokan
Feb 21, 2006, 01:43
I'm the same, doinkies. I use both IE and mozilla depending on my mood, or whatever is actually working. lol

y0kan :)

afailedaffair
Feb 21, 2006, 06:04
Just so you guys know IE beta 7 is out.

a.k.a. tabbed browsing in IE.

Erik
Mar 1, 2006, 14:22
I like a lot of browsers for different reasons but I probably use IE the most because it's so well intergrated with everything else Microsoft creates.

lineartube
Mar 1, 2006, 22:45
I've been using Firefox for while and I love it, specially with a plugin called Web Developer. I also have the latest IE and Opera installed for cross-browser tests.

I'm looking forward to test the IE beta. I've heard it has learned a lot from Firefox and Opera. :D

DoctorP
Mar 1, 2006, 23:08
I just added the "stumble" add on to my firefox and I love it...Mozilla has so many more options available to you than IE does.

sadakoyamamura
Mar 23, 2006, 21:51
Im now using Firefox which is several times better than IE... :-)

happyblinker
Mar 24, 2006, 23:52
Firefox OWNS.

IE is slow and always stuffs up. MF loads faster and starts up faster. It is more reliable and... I really like the tabs.

Flanker
Apr 15, 2006, 07:06
I like firefox because:

1. Tabbed Browsing (Though that will be introduced into the next version of IE)
2. It isn't as vulnerable to the security wories as IE.
3. I just like it better.

Sensuikan San
May 5, 2006, 12:44
Has anybody else found and tried "Flock" ? (Mozilla shell)

I've installed it and used it once or twice and find it has a few interesting features. No problems with "Activex" and all that Microsoft stuff ....

Google it and give it a try.

ジョン

sl0thmachin3
May 5, 2006, 12:50
Firefox for teh win. I've been using this browser for a few months now and I definitely like its features (tabbed browsing, plug-ins). Before, I used IE but grew tired of it.

mr.sumo.snr
May 5, 2006, 16:45
Could some explain to me "like I'm a five year-old" how I get a new window to pop up in Firefox which is an exact copy of the page I'm currently browsing?

I use the Ctrl+N keyboard shortcut in IE to do this and it's very useful especially when you're typing something on a forum such as this and don't want to lose what you've already written but need to jump back a few pages to reference something.

Firefox Ctrl+N just opens a brand new browser window using your default homepage. I'm sure there's a command to mimic the IE action but I'm too damn lazy to figure it out. Don't bother to post if it involves cutting and pasting - my mother could do that!!!!

This is the only thing that's preventing me from using Firefox full-time so help me to convert! That my online Japanese bank won't allow access using Firefox is another reason - so I guess I'm being somewhat over-dramatic in my previous comment.

--

bossel
May 6, 2006, 09:58
Could some explain to me "like I'm a five year-old" how I get a new window to pop up in Firefox which is an exact copy of the page I'm currently browsing?
Exact copy? Don't know, but perhaps there is some extension or plug-in which does that. Just browse the FF-website for that.

I use a different solution: right-click on "Quote", choose "Open in new tab"
Then you can write your response in the new tab & browse the thread in the other. I always do that.

If you're already in the "Reply"-window, you could just the same right-click on the thread title to open it in a new tab.

DemonHunter
Jun 28, 2006, 16:16
Firefox! and Opera

MasterGeek
Aug 22, 2006, 03:47
FF FTW!!11!
(Tranlation of 1337 to English: I prefer Firefox)

Gaijin4Life
Oct 8, 2006, 05:48
Firefox ROCKS. I just love the search functionalities, almost every website offers it now and it's great. Definitely a winner.

To mr. Sumo.. press CTRL + T to open a new tab.

kazika
Oct 9, 2006, 21:46
I used firefox. However, opera is currently the fastest browser.
If you do not need any fancy extensions for your browser, opera is good for begineer.

johnboytx3
Oct 12, 2006, 06:16
Firefox all the way!
Even though there are still sites that support IE only. :okashii:

MrWabu
Nov 3, 2006, 10:29
I use Firefox.

I stopped using IE around the time Mozilla (seamonkey)'s 1.0 release. I'd often get daily builds and enjoy the fact it was evolving so fast. I sometimes wish I'd spared the time to contribute. When Firefox appeared on the scene I wasn't too sure, it seemed too "light" on features at first so I stuck with Mozilla. I finally made the switch a little before Firefox's 1.0 release and its been good to me.
I can't say I've had a problem with "IE only" pages, sure they exist but I guess I must surf in different waters... And if I do find one I'm quick to click the close button. I doubt I'm missing out.

Oh yes and now IE7 has tabs and better standards support... welcome to the 21st century... But seriously, the web needs IE7 so it can move on, so many people clung to past IE releases with their outdated standards support it was holding the web back.

Seon-a Kim
Nov 3, 2006, 10:51
Mozilla Firefox, although Opera is pretty good and fast to, but it lacks extra features.

japantvhost
Dec 12, 2006, 01:31
Firefox all the way.

sugaraxie
Dec 22, 2006, 23:40
Firefox for me as well.

I have other browsers installed as well because I have a website and whenever I put up a new layout I check to see if it works fine in most [if not all] major web browsers and such.

But, yeah -- Firefox.

dan_j
May 1, 2007, 03:16
and Mozilla Firefox wins again :P

Zaff
May 1, 2007, 20:48
Explorer, the front end of Firefox is great just the engine it runs on is a pile a poop. Not only is it not as secure as Explorer or the others is has some major flaws.

Without going into detail it just isnt up to scratch, im no Microsoft fanboy (in fact im not keen on microsoft at all) but for ease Explorer.

Seon-a Kim
May 1, 2007, 23:35
Nothing personal to anyone at all, but everyone using something other then Firefox or Opera should be butt spanked :p

Zaff
May 2, 2007, 04:18
Ayu, I prefer Microsoft to spy on my computer than random people. Remember that anti-virus, adware scans and firewalls do not keep out the professionals, only programs. Any professional spy or zombie network operator will easily penetrate your computer even if its armed to the teeth. IE protects against these better than firefox. Just a happy warning :-)

(oh and theres no real way to protect against them fully really just use your brains.)

made of stone
May 2, 2007, 04:27
Explorer, the front end of Firefox is great just the engine it runs on is a pile a poop. Not only is it not as secure as Explorer or the others is has some major flaws.
Without going into detail it just isnt up to scratch, im no Microsoft fanboy (in fact im not keen on microsoft at all) but for ease Explorer.

Could you give us at least a little more info on the problems with security with Firefox compared with IE please, Zaff?

I've never heard this before, and two friends who work in computer security swear by Firefox...

All I know is that when I use Firefox I never get any alerts from my collection of spyware programs, but when I use IE for just a few minutes I get plenty.

Zaff
May 2, 2007, 04:41
Just search google for "Firefox Security loopholes" "Firefox security exploits" "Firefox Security holes" and such there is FAR more on there than I could possibly type all night :lol:

Some of the exploits from over 5 months ago are still not patched up which is what worries me more than them being there in the first place.

Seon-a Kim
May 2, 2007, 05:30
Does this also apply if you browse the net with random and fake IPs? o_O

I never heard of these security things either, and either way I haven't had any problems at all for about a year now, no spyware, no virus...nothing.

Also I don't think pro hackers would find anything interesting on my PC and bother about me as casual citizen no?

a51ts4
May 2, 2007, 05:41
I switched from firefox to Maxthon 2.0 beta. Opera as my backup. Don't think I'll ever switch back.

made of stone
May 2, 2007, 06:30
Just search google for "Firefox Security loopholes" "Firefox security exploits" "Firefox Security holes" and such there is FAR more on there than I could possibly type all night :lol:

Some of the exploits from over 5 months ago are still not patched up which is what worries me more than them being there in the first place.

Thanks for your reply, Zaff.

I don't really lend much credence to the number of Google hits on any given subject, but just for a test I searched for the terms you gave, and then searched, this time substituting "internet explorer" for "firefox" and there were more results - about double - for "internet explorer"

If you have specialist insight into this topic i'd be very interested to hear what you've got to say. Otherwise, i'll just continue to trust what seems to be the general consensus among tech sites on the net regarding Firefox vs IE, my friends who work in computer security, and my own experience.

a51ts4 it's interesting to hear a very different point of view. Why did you switch/what are the benefits of Maxthon? Do you also perceive weaknesses in IE and FF?

Zaff
May 2, 2007, 15:11
Yes indeed I don't look on the amount of hits, rather the content and the reliability of the exploit. You could search google for mere exploit and you would get millions of hits the fact is 99% of the hits would be either rubbish or patched holes.

I am still using a firefox exploit in my place of study to bypass all internet security. Where as no other browser will allow me to use this little security loophole.

Ayu : Zombie networks basically steal a small amount of your processing power whilst you are connected to the internet as well as other resources. They then use this for illegal purposes and you will be amazed where your IP might just pop up. Also things like this no ordinary anti-virus or firewall will stop.

:lol: Now even wikipedia has information on zombie networks :-) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_computer

Silverbackman
May 3, 2007, 08:37
I prefer Mozilla Firefox......especially the latest edition has a built in spell check :).

EmperorHirohito
Jun 19, 2007, 19:01
I now use IE7 on this PC, it used to be IE5 when we first got it,I think. But regular Automatic Updates keeps it running smoothly, havent had any major problems yet lol.

Mind you I am glad we are not using our old PC with Windows 98 SE on it,think it was only IE4 when it was last connected online.

rogernakata
Jul 6, 2007, 02:35
IE 6, sometimes i am using firefox mozilla

pinkichan
Jul 6, 2007, 03:23
been using internet explorer for the past 11 years now!

Zygimantas
Jul 6, 2007, 04:02
Eee, don't you think that it's a bit too much ? You at least sometimes can use another web browser to see how it works

I use Firefox because it's more simple use then IE . Beside , internet explorer don't run on Linux :)

Torga
May 25, 2009, 21:15
Although the topic is old and has been inactive for a long time, I'll reply here.

My favorite is Opera because of its features like Notes and Sessions that come really handy when you think of it. Of course, these aren't the only features I like in it but they're some of those that I commonly use.

BTW, this poll should be updated because Safari is available for Windows besides Mac OS X since mid-2007, Netscape has been officially deprecated and made obsolete and Konqueror isn't Linux-exclusive. And don't forget to add Google Chrome.

hideway
May 25, 2009, 22:37
I actually changed from firefox to chrome.
Way faster, way simplier, way intuitive.

LSandra
Jul 18, 2009, 18:17
Still using Firefox and I'm satisfied with it. Don't think that I will change anytime soon.

Jimi
Aug 9, 2009, 07:21
Mozilla is the best!

Makochan
Oct 17, 2009, 05:23
I like the Mozilla Firefox.

RavenRockstar
Oct 17, 2009, 05:28
Another Firefox fan here ^^
Its actually my dad that got me using it
I even have a firefox plushie! X3