PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to China !

RockLee
Jul 31, 2005, 21:55
coming wednesday I'm off to China, finally gonna see my friend back :) Missed her a lot since I came back from Japan this January.I'm also going to meet a bunch of new friends I met online the last months/year.Her dad is coming the night before I arrive and be staying with me in the appartment she rented, time to freshen up the oh so little amount of Japanese :p

I'll be staying in Beijing (k) the first week, then we're going to Shanghai (C) together for about 3 days.After that I'll take a plane to Guangzhou (B) to meet my friend I met last may :) I'll stay with her for about 6 days, also going to Shenzhen ([圳) and zhuhai (C) and then return to Beijing and spend my last days there.

I hope I'll have a good time and don't experience too much hassle or discrimination, heard some bad stories about that...And people spitting on the ground (even the girls, yeh also the pretty ones).

If anyone has some experience with China or for the Chinese members, help or information is always welcome ;-) :wave:

Uncle Frank
Jul 31, 2005, 22:15
May your trip be hassle free and full of fun!

Frank

:cool:

Brooker
Aug 1, 2005, 05:33
Have a good trip. I'm jealous. I wanted to go to China while I lived in Japan, but I was there during the SARS scare and my company wouldn't allow me to go. I took a trip to Thailand instead.

-Rudel-
Aug 1, 2005, 05:42
Have a great trip Rocklee! sounds like a lot of fun!

Brooker, I bet you ejoyed Tailand....hehehehehe

misa.j
Aug 1, 2005, 06:00
Wow, it sounds like you'll be all over China! That's really exciting.

I hope you have a wonderful reunion with your girl friend, and have a fun trip. Don't forget to tell us all about it, RockLee! I look forward to hearing your story.

Have a safe trip! :wave:

lonesoullost3
Aug 1, 2005, 11:16
Have a great trip! I was offered to go this summer to teach (volunteering) at an elementary school in Huangxi - but my parents wanted me to work here and they played the guilt game: "It's your decision." I always lose when it comes to that game!! lol.

RockLee
Aug 1, 2005, 15:13
Thanks ya'll !! I'll be sure to have a good time in China ;-) I hope it will be as much fun as Japan...somewhere I'm a bit scared it won't be that good as I expect :souka: But I'll meet my friends and go to loads of places, so it's ok :)

Thug
Aug 1, 2005, 22:53
Have fun,comrade.

Jack
Aug 5, 2005, 17:57
have fun, dont forget to go see the giant budha!!

Flashjeff
Aug 5, 2005, 18:20
Have fun, Rock! And don't forget the postcards!

RockLee
Aug 14, 2005, 22:53
China is great !! So far had lots of fun, wish i could stay longer than 20 days :(

Uncle Frank
Aug 14, 2005, 23:00
What better way to hit post 3000 then saying hello to my good friend RockLee. Glad to hear everything is going well. Who knows what the future will bring, we might all be working in or for China the way it is growing as a world power? Remember to get all your new friends there to join JREF. Hope the rest of your stay there is as good or better then what you've had so far. I waiting to see all the good pictures from your trip soon! Take care and stay safe!

Frank

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Jack
Aug 19, 2005, 18:20
What better way to hit post 3000 then saying hello to my good friend RockLee. Glad to hear everything is going well. Who knows what the future will bring, we might all be working in or for China the way it is growing as a world power? Remember to get all your new friends there to join JREF. Hope the rest of your stay there is as good or better then what you've had so far. I waiting to see all the good pictures from your trip soon! Take care and stay safe!

Frank

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

yeah, good thing frank,

china will soon take over the USA for domination of the world

Uncle Frank
Aug 19, 2005, 19:11
yeah, good thing frank,

china will soon take over the USA for domination of the world

Having them bid against us for the world oil supply may make the mid-east the ruling(richest) world power? Gas and heating prices are climbing higer each day here in the US.

Frank

:worried:

P.S. - We should be hearing from RockLee soon. He will probably sleep for 3 days stright after he gets home, LOL.

Jack
Aug 22, 2005, 17:41
the americans have lost a lot of respect from many, with their recent actions, i think its only right another country takes the driving seat.

Apollo
Aug 23, 2005, 02:31
Glad that you are enjoying yourself in China!!!

SHANGHAI is the place to SHOP till you drop!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

RockLee
Aug 25, 2005, 09:29
Glad that you are enjoying yourself in China!!!

SHANGHAI is the place to SHOP till you drop!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:Shanghai is a nice place, but not quite that modern as I expected :souka: A little bit more expensive than Beijing...some things are even cheaper ! There is 1 thing I learned and that is that China is modernising, the economy is growing but the Chinese people still remain as old fashioned as they were in the 60's !!! They stick so much to traditions and of what I saw in Beijing it's by FAR not ready to host the olympics in 2008...I still don't get why it is chosen as the next host :souka:

So many beggars and poor people searching for garbage as garbage is money! People are rude, the traffic is most likely the worst on earth, busses and taxi's are a disaster on wheels, but the worst are the people driving !! Toilets are old style, and to most public or restaurant toilets you need to take your own toiletpaper.Most toilets are squattoilets (I developed a great hate for those bloody things as my body is not made to squat down to do my thing :okashii: ) Privacy is not that big a deal in China, people just start reading ur sms's or private stuff from behind your back.People spitting everywhere, even on busses, subway...etc. even the pretty girls !! O_O If you're a foreigner people just like to rip you off, some taxi's don't have a meter and ask for absurd prices...so many bad things...at least there are also good things that counter the bad, else it was a complete nightmare :) You just have to get used to oldfashion ways and the Chinese way of living.

Uncle Frank
Aug 25, 2005, 10:00
Sounds like you would pick Japan to live over China, LOL. Glad you made it OK , good to have you back on the Forum!

Frank

thomas
Aug 25, 2005, 10:48
Shanghai is a nice place, but not quite that modern as I expected A little bit more expensive than Beijing...some things are even cheaper !
Having grown up in Middle Eastern countries I felt at home in Shanghai from the moment I arrived in town. Perhaps it's not as modern as Tokyo, but definitely more dynamic. You can feel the pulsating power of a strong nation.

There is 1 thing I learned and that is that China is modernising, the economy is growing but the Chinese people still remain as old fashioned as they were in the 60's !!!
The very same applies to most of Japan.

So many beggars and poor people searching for garbage as garbage is money!
I agree, their pro-active approach to begging needs time to get used to. As for scavenging: did you know that a lot of people in Tokyo also make a living by collecting used tin cans and rummaging through garbage? And sleep en masse in public parks and underpasses?

Anyhow, like Miss Apollo I perceived Shanghai mainly as a shopping paradise where anything goes for any price under blatant disregard for copyrights and trademarks. Very refreshing!

:-)

michi
Aug 25, 2005, 11:49
Shanghai is a nice place, but not quite that modern as I expected :souka: A little bit more expensive than Beijing...some things are even cheaper ! There is 1 thing I learned and that is that China is modernising, the economy is growing but the Chinese people still remain as old fashioned as they were in the 60's !!! They stick so much to traditions and of what I saw in Beijing it's by FAR not ready to host the olympics in 2008...I still don't get why it is chosen as the next host :souka:

So many beggars and poor people searching for garbage as garbage is money! People are rude, the traffic is most likely the worst on earth, busses and taxi's are a disaster on wheels, but the worst are the people driving !! Toilets are old style, and to most public or restaurant toilets you need to take your own toiletpaper.Most toilets are squattoilets (I developed a great hate for those bloody things as my body is not made to squat down to do my thing :okashii: ) Privacy is not that big a deal in China, people just start reading ur sms's or private stuff from behind your back.People spitting everywhere, even on busses, subway...etc. even the pretty girls !! O_O If you're a foreigner people just like to rip you off, some taxi's don't have a meter and ask for absurd prices...so many bad things...at least there are also good things that counter the bad, else it was a complete nightmare :) You just have to get used to oldfashion ways and the Chinese way of living.

I got back from a trip to China a month ago, and I totally understand what you mean. I got ripped off by Beijing taxi drivers every day. They'd twist and turn through the entire city or pretend they didn't know where places were. Even though I am Chinese by heritage, they label me as a "foreigner" because I don't speak the Beijing dialect.
The big problem i have with squat toilets is the feeling that your bottom is centimeters from the floor. Everytime I hope I don't fall over...or fall in if it's a
trench.
Funny you mention the bus spitting problem. It's become such a problem in the past that on the Kunming (capital of Yunnan) public buses they even have audio-recorded messages that prohibit people from spitting. I didn't see much spitting, so it seems to have worked. Traffic in Kunming is a whole lot worse than Beijing or Shanghai. It was crazy, and to add on there was alot of flooding going on.

I think it's essential to have connections with people who live in China, when you plan on going there. They can be a big help because they know how not to fall for scams and tricks.

"You just have to get used to oldfashion ways and the Chinese way of living."

Yep.
Truthfully, I don't want to get used to it. By that I mean I don't want to live in China. People are much too calculating. Or rather, people need to be calculating. Everyone needs to be street-smart to survive. Having grown up in North America, I feel very naive. But I'd rather be naive and fair than conniving. There's a Chinese term called "sa da fang". Basically describes me.

If it seems possible (with all the complaining I just did) I still think China is an amazing place. In moderation.

RockLee
Aug 25, 2005, 22:37
I got back from a trip to China a month ago, and I totally understand what you mean. I got ripped off by Beijing taxi drivers every day. They'd twist and turn through the entire city or pretend they didn't know where places were. Even though I am Chinese by heritage, they label me as a "foreigner" because I don't speak the Beijing dialect.
Yeh I only had to take a taxi alone ONCE! But I got a feeling they ripped me off...luckily he did take the CORRECT way back to the appartment.

The big problem i have with squat toilets is the feeling that your bottom is centimeters from the floor. Everytime I hope I don't fall over...or fall in if it's a
trench. Don't mention it ! I felt uncomfortable every second, in fear of shitting my pants ! T_T

Funny you mention the bus spitting problem. It's become such a problem in the past that on the Kunming (capital of Yunnan) public buses they even have audio-recorded messages that prohibit people from spitting. I didn't see much spitting, so it seems to have worked. Traffic in Kunming is a whole lot worse than Beijing or Shanghai. It was crazy, and to add on there was alot of flooding going on. Yeh I know about the flooding, when I went to Shenzhen and Zhuhai from Guangzhou we had that problem, the streets were BLANK ! Poor people who had to wait for the bus :(

I think it's essential to have connections with people who live in China, when you plan on going there. They can be a big help because they know how not to fall for scams and tricks.If I didn't have friends there I probably wouldn't even been to China ;-) It's so handy for making bargains, getting things cheaper and not being ripped off !

"You just have to get used to oldfashion ways and the Chinese way of living."

Yep.
Truthfully, I don't want to get used to it. By that I mean I don't want to live in China. People are much too calculating. Or rather, people need to be calculating. Everyone needs to be street-smart to survive. Having grown up in North America, I feel very naive. But I'd rather be naive and fair than conniving. There's a Chinese term called "sa da fang". Basically describes me.Yeh, street-smart is needed if you want to live in China.Or at least a lot of friends who can help you out :)

If it seems possible (with all the complaining I just did) I still think China is an amazing place. In moderation.True true :) It's a nice place, but like I said before, you need to adjust and get used to it !

misa.j
Aug 26, 2005, 03:06
Welcome back RockLee!
Thanks so much for sharing your story.
It sounds like you had a quite trip in China, I could picture the traffic and the noisy street of Shanghai from your post.

It mustt be very interesting to travel through Aisan countries and see the differences.

RockLee
Aug 26, 2005, 03:57
Welcome back RockLee!
Thanks so much for sharing your story.
It sounds like you had a quite trip in China, I could picture the traffic and the noisy street of Shanghai from your post.

It mustt be very interesting to travel through Aisan countries and see the differences.
Thanks :) Yeah it's nice to see the differences, you notice a lot of different things and some similarities between them.Travelling rules ! Wish flying would be cheaper though :(

Dutch Baka
Aug 26, 2005, 06:10
Okaeri !!!

Duo
Aug 26, 2005, 17:41
hey rock, i hope u had fun in china, sounds like you did, def a place i wanna see in the future :)

Jack
Aug 26, 2005, 18:52
Could i just say that it is nice to hear from another person's adventures of life, highly refreshing, and really sums up what the forums about.

good one, Rocklee, happy holidays!!

Minty
May 9, 2006, 06:13
They stick so much to traditions and of what I saw in Beijing it's by FAR not ready to host the olympics in 2008...I still don't get why it is chosen as the next host

I would say its politics they chose Beijing over Paris which is a much more qualify city.

So many beggars and poor people searching for garbage as garbage is money! People are rude, the traffic is most likely the worst on earth, busses and taxi's are a disaster on wheels, but the worst are the people driving !! Toilets are old style, and to most public or restaurant toilets you need to take your own toiletpaper.Most toilets are squattoilets (I developed a great hate for those bloody things as my body is not made to squat down to do my thing )

Hey that’s pretty much what my husband said.

got back from a trip to China a month ago, and I totally understand what you mean. I got ripped off by Beijing taxi drivers every day.

I hate taxi drivers everywhere, most of them try to rip you off, but I heard its far worse in China, my husband is especially annoyed with the lay out of the taxis there, "It’s like you are sitting in a cage!" he said.:mad:

Funny you mention the bus spitting problem. It's become such a problem in the past that on the Kunming (capital of Yunnan) public buses they even have audio-recorded messages that prohibit people from spitting. I didn't see much spitting, so it seems to have worked. Traffic in Kunming is a whole lot worse than Beijing or Shanghai. It was crazy, and to add on there was alot of flooding going on

I think I saw a report the Chinese official is funding a campaign to get people not to spit because they realised what poor impression that have on foreigners.:bluush:

Here it is:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4762436.stm

Truthfully, I don't want to get used to it. By that I mean I don't want to live in China. People are much too calculating. Or rather, people need to be calculating. Everyone needs to be street-smart to survive. Having grown up in North America, I feel very naive. But I'd rather be naive and fair than conniving. There's a Chinese term called "sa da fang". Basically describes me.

I don’t think I will go live in China too, I don’t even want to live in Taiwan or Malaysia due to political reasons, but going for vacation is not so bad with families, but the cab drivers are lousy also, except they don’t have the stupid cage things my husband said.:buuh:

Don't mention it ! I felt uncomfortable every second, in fear of shitting my pants ! T_T

My husband went to some very nicely decorated antique shop in China and he needed to pee, and he asked to go to the toilet, and the Chinese guy was embarrassed and told him it’s a hole, but he had to go so he did, it’s this very dirty room with a hole and just a blanket to separate it from the main shop and it’s very dirty.:eek:

osias
May 10, 2006, 21:01
Yep.
I know what you mean. Chinese People from wealthy districts like HK are also calculating...? Why are the Chinese so calculating?? Looks like it has nothing to do with the standard of living.

CBC Guy
Nov 2, 2006, 19:06
Rocklee, it seems like you had a pretty interesting time in my homeland. Yes, it is very chaotic and noisy and crowded, and the people are more calculating, but then you went to the huge cities on the eastern seaboard. Nothing wrong with that, its just that people in big cities in China tend to have a keen eye for money.

I try not to take taxis in China, I take the buses. Yes, they;re old iron cranks on wheels but at least the price is guranteed each time. I am ok with taking taxis for familiar destinations though. Say where it is you want to go and give them directions (like you know the place) and then hey don't dare to rip you off. Helps to speak Chinese however...

China is crowded, but I don't think that's a big problem if you come from a place like Japan.

As for the toilets, yes, they are nasty. I take all my dumps in my own bathroom, and I time my meals carefully. (LOL) SLOOOWLY getting better.

Food: How was the food on your trip? FOod is pretty good, there's plenty to eat, its just that they could probably use less oil to cook. Other than that food is pretty good and cheap.

BTW How do I know all this? I'm living in Chengdu, CHina as I type this up!

I need to do the opposite of this thread, and get to Japan for myself and then compare it with China. I'll bet its cleaner, quieter but also more expensive! I'm betting the similarities will be the crowdedness and the relative lack of privacy by western standards.

RockLee
Nov 2, 2006, 21:22
@CBC Guy : Yes yes, I indeed had :) I guess because I'm used to a lot of luxury and had to go to a lot less luxury it kinda kicked me in the face in the beginning. But China is a nice country and has its own charm.

I think the last part of your post is quite accurate indeed :)

CBC Guy
Nov 2, 2006, 21:41
Oh and another similarity will be the fact that we both use chopsticks! Yeah its different kind of chopsticks but whatever.

So if I go to Japan and sit there eating something with chopsticks and not say anything will people think I'm a local? Lol

RockLee
Nov 2, 2006, 22:35
Yep :) A friend of mine had that too when she went to Japan :p

Alika
Jan 27, 2015, 15:38
Although I went to china before but next month I am going there again for a business meeting. This time I would like to spend my most of time in Beijing and explore its major attractions like Summer Palace. I hope this time I will enjoy my tour more than my pervious tour.