PDA

View Full Version : What meat have you tried ?

Maciamo
Jun 22, 2005, 11:30
Japanese people are voracious meat eaters. Interesting as they were mostly vegetarians, apart from fish ans seafood, before the late 19th century.

Nevertheless, most Japanese limit their culinary experiments to the 3 main meats : beef, pork and chicken. Most of them make faces when you tell them about lamb, and very few have ever eaten turkey, pheasant, rabbit, venison (deer), wild boar, horse, goat, frog, snail, ostrich/emu, kangaroo, camel, antelope, crocodile/aligator, snake... (but thet do eat whale and dolphin !)

My question is, which of these meats do you like - and which have you never tried ? Personally I am yet to try some smaller birds like pigeon or thrush (eaten in France), or snake. Although I have tried whale sushi once, I am not going to try again and I won't have dolphin and probably not dog either.

So far, there isn't any meat I really dislike. It's all about how it is cooked and serrved.

Glenn
Jun 22, 2005, 11:51
Aside from the ones I selected in the poll (beef, pork, venison, turkey, chicken, smaller birds [like blackbird], lamb, frog legs, and rabbit), I've also had alligator, duck, turtle, and goose. That's all I can think of for now, not counting seafood (crab, lobster, crawfish, shrimp, prawns, and lots of fish). I like all of the meat I've tried to date.

Well, I guess I could also include lovebugs, because I once chewed on a pair of them without knowing it for a while. They taste just like and have the same texture as well done beef. However, I can't see myself conciously eating them again. I just don't like bugs all that much. Snails freak me out too. I also wouldn't eat dog.

Sensuikan San
Jun 22, 2005, 12:03
Oooooh....! My favorite! I'm a carnivore !

Tally so far, I have had ...and liked ...

Beef /Veal
Pork
Goat
Lamb/Mutton
Venison (The best !)
Wild Boar (No comparison with pork - superb!)
Rabbit (Love it !)
Bison
Musk Ox
Moose
Ostrich (Disappointing)
Chicken
Duck
Goose
Chinese "Silkey" Chicken
Turkey
Quail
Guineafowl
Pheasant(Excellent!)
Partridge
Pigeon
Snail
Frog's Legs
Crab
Squid
Octopus
Lobster
Crawfish

... and am still waiting to have a go at Bear (My son has had it - the swine!)

In addition - and possibly an addition to the thread - I've also tried, not just the "regular" cuts of meat from the above - but also enjoy the livers, kidneys, hearts, tripe, chitterlings and all the other rubbish that so many people ignore.

(But never eat Bear Liver! It's loaded with vitamin A - you'll OD - and die !)

I may not be a food critic - bu I do know what I like!

Yum, Yum!

ジョン

Glenn
Jun 22, 2005, 12:15
In addition - and possibly an addition to the thread - I've also tried, not just the "regular" cuts of meat from the above - but also enjoy the livers, kidneys, hearts, tripe, chitterlings and all the other rubbish that so many people ignore.

Sounds like my friend. He likes the throats and gizzards too. I, on the other hand, don't, and got quite a shock when he made some rice with all of that stuff thrown in there and I ate it. I almost threw up.

TheKansaiKid
Jun 22, 2005, 12:17
I have to say I'm a big fan of meat in general, Here in the rocky mountains we have a game animal called "elk" I guess it would be classified as venison but it is particularly tasty, if you get a chance try it.

By the way what is chitterling?

Glenn
Jun 22, 2005, 12:23
the intestines of hogs especially when prepared as food

Not bad as a casing, i.e. sausage, eh (or is that just cow intestines?)? Not sure I'd want to eat the entire intestines, though.

Maciamo
Jun 22, 2005, 12:48
Oh yes, how could I forget duck, one of my favourites ! I could have added water buffalo, musk ox, bison, etc. but that's basically beef. I'll put the elk and reindeer (which I ate a month ago for the first time :p ) into the venison category.

Note that the seafood is not part of this thread/poll as we could have a whole list just for that (especially in Japan !).

Iron Chef
Jun 22, 2005, 16:03
I've gone veg for over a year now although I do allow myself a piece of lean meat every 10 days or so (usually a piece of skinless, boneless chicken boiled or baked). Protein is important for me so I have to find other alternatives to get enough of what I need. Back when I was a carnivore though, I use to love bacon, italian sausage, venison steak, you name it...

Jack
Jun 22, 2005, 18:15
you can never beat having a piece of beef,

Uncle Frank
Jun 22, 2005, 18:50
shark steaks and tuna steaks are real good. For some reason they taste just like a good beef steak when grilled.

Frank

:-)

Jack
Jun 22, 2005, 18:53
shark steaks and tuna steaks are real good.

Frank

would you agree on saying that every animal could be considered a piece of meat and should be on the list,
a dear friend of mine had some whale meat once, (didn't know at the time)

Mike Cash
Jun 22, 2005, 20:33
Squirrel didn't make the list?

Maciamo
Jun 22, 2005, 23:09

Yeah I know. I also thought of cats and prairie dogs but there are too cute to be eaten (which is why we eat pigs, cows and chickens most of the time :p ).

deadhippo
Jun 22, 2005, 23:30
most of my japanese friends have eaten basahi ...me too, although its not really acceptable in my culture

i ate porcupine in vietnam...at least thats what they said it was

i also ordered duck egg fetus in two restaurants while i was there but to my relief was told they were out in both places...maybe they new of the high liklihood of a messy spew-ridden aftermath

also ate haggis...which is not a sheep\s stomach just cooked in it and mine was actually cooked in the more modern plastic version

tasted a bit like irish black pudding which is made from pigs blood...yummy

Dutch Baka
Jun 23, 2005, 00:54
Interresting thread!!!

well i eat
pork
deer
horse
skippie
snail
beef
goat
lamb
Chicken
Duck

i really loved the Skippie. to bad i didnt hit one myself, and put in the trunk.. mmm how bad... sorry this is a joke... i met people who did this... even know an oz guy who hit one.. but it wasnt death yet.. but suffert much. so he keep hitting him, until he was death.. mmm poor kangeroo

mm well love meat.. but only when there are enough animals of it... so no whale for me!!!! DOPHIN :( who eats dolphin?

btw i would love to eat a cockroach .. grilled of course... ( after seeing Fear factor .. i think i can eat this things) :wave:

Mycernius
Jun 23, 2005, 01:12
I have tried most of the list except horse, the English aren't known for eating horse, Camel, Dog (I have been told it is tough), Whale/Dolphin (Although I've eaten in Wales. Bad pun) Frogs legs, any type of reptile and insects. Interestingly I saw a programme once about eating insects and amoung the inhabited continents Europe is the only place where insects do not make up part of the diet. I can't honestly say about kangeroo, as It is sometime sold in some main stores and I might have had some once.
Of the ones I do eat I am not a big fan of pork and usually do not eat it. I find it bland or too salty. I am not fond of salty food. The only time I eat it is a bacon, egg and mushroom sandwich. I'm a trucker, what do you expect?
I love fish and will eat most types. Why haven't you included fish? After all fish is a type of meat.

misa.j
Jun 23, 2005, 02:11
Although chicken is the meat I eat most often these days, I love venison, turkey and especially grouse; I've had grouse meat once when my husband caught it.

Oh boy! He caught it in the field where apple trees were all over, which was whtat the grouse had been eating, so the meat was naturally flavored with a slight hint of apples.

I've also had alligator meat, but I don't think I'll try it again.

JustJosh
Jun 23, 2005, 11:26
Meh, nothing very strange I'm afraid. I'd love to try some insect based food someday though.

Glenn
Jun 23, 2005, 13:36

Ah, squirrel. I'm glad you caught that one. I've eaten it, and I'd eat it again.

Apollo
Jun 24, 2005, 05:16
I have participated in the poll... :-)

Apart from those I have clicked on, I have also tasted crocodile at an Australian restaurant.....Didn't like it very much though....

ralian
Jun 25, 2005, 17:07
I have tried crocodile, too.
The meat was not tender unfortunately.

Ma Cherie
Jun 27, 2005, 00:55
Even though this isn't on the list, I was wondering if anyone here has tried cow tongue? It probably really isn't a meat, but I was just wondering. :bluush:

Dutch Baka
Jun 27, 2005, 01:13
Even though this isn't on the list, I was wondering if anyone here has tried cow tongue? It probably really isn't a meat, but I was just wondering. :bluush:

no, but it sound lovely :p

Ma Cherie
Jun 27, 2005, 01:22
DB you're too kind. :p You know whenever I ask people if they've ever tried cow tongue before they get a disgusted look on their face. It's really funny to the reactions I get. But in all honesty, if you were to ever try cow tongue you wouldn't it was tongue. :D

Uncle Frank
Jun 27, 2005, 05:40
DB you're too kind. :p You know whenever I ask people if they've ever tried cow tongue before they get a disgusted look on their face. It's really funny to the reactions I get. But in all honesty, if you were to ever try cow tongue you wouldn't it was tongue. :D

I once ate "mad cow" tongue and till this day I moo at the full moon!

Frank

:D

Sensuikan San
Jun 27, 2005, 08:39

Yes !

It's quite mild in flavor, and I have some in the house as I write. Bought it from the deli this morning.

An excellent cold cut - great with mustard in a sandwich - or mixed with other cold cuts.

Easy to find - try it !

Bon Appetit!

ジョン

Ma Cherie
Jun 27, 2005, 09:25
Yes !

It's quite mild in flavor, and I have some in the house as I write. Bought it from the deli this morning.

An excellent cold cut - great with mustard in a sandwich - or mixed with other cold cuts.

Easy to find - try it !

Bon Appetit!

ジョン

I've tried cow tongue before, with BBQ sauce! I was reluctant at first, but I was cajoled into trying it and I liked it! :cool:

Kara_Nari
Jun 29, 2005, 21:23
Meh, nothing very strange I'm afraid. I'd love to try some insect based food someday though.

:cool: I had Fried Crickets and Grasshoppers in Cambodia... tastes like fried chicken skin, just be sure to take the legs off first or they either a) get stuck in your teeth or b) tickle your throat. Really really wanted to eat a spider, as they are infamous there, but the one day I had the opportunity I had a sore stomach

lonesoullost3
Jul 2, 2005, 07:30
I've had quite a few of the things listed up there. No whale, turtle (etc.), pheasant or smaller birds. I'm also missing out on horse, wild boar, camel, and rabbit - oh yes and kangaroo. But I have had alligator. It's very very good!

Bramicus
Jul 2, 2005, 08:15
I won't eat intelligent animals (dogs, pigs, horses, dolphins), bottom dwellers, bugs, and vermin (lobster, shrimp, snails, slugs, rats, mice, grasshoppers), or meat/carrion eaters (cats, vultures, etc.)

Sensuikan San
Jul 2, 2005, 12:04
I won't eat intelligent animals (dogs, pigs, horses, dolphins), bottom dwellers, bugs, and vermin (lobster, shrimp, snails, slugs, rats, mice, grasshoppers), or meat/carrion eaters (cats, vultures, etc.)

Hmmm...

Are we to assume, then ... that either you feel that bovines are dumb :biggrin: ... or you're vegetarian? :confused:

ジョン

Mikawa Ossan
Sep 18, 2005, 21:03
I'm surprised to see that "whale/dolphin" has more votes than "turtle/insect/etc" :gohan:
But the strangest thing I've eaten I think is jarred bee larvae. They're quite sweet, actually. :relief:

xerxes99
Sep 19, 2005, 06:40
Beef, Rabbit, Lamb, Pork, Venison, Wild Boar, Bison, Moose, Ostrich, Chicken, Duck, Goose, Turkey, Pheasant, Quail, Partridge, Pigeon, Snail, Frog's Legs, Crab, Squid, Eel, Lobster, Crawfish, Alligator, Snake, Chocolate covered ants
Yummy

Tsuyoiko
Sep 19, 2005, 22:30
I have been a vegetarian for 16 years, but before that I didn't eat a lot of meat. I ate beef mostly, but I have also eaten pork and chicken. I tried escargot once, but I don't think you would say 'ate' it as I spat it out again!

Kara_Nari
Sep 19, 2005, 22:34
Tonight I ate raw squid. I dont even like seafood anyway, but am not about to say I dont like something if I have never tried it. Its texture was more odd than the taste. It didnt really have a taste, and had been doused in lemon juice.
Nice pink colour too.... passed on the sashimi though. But the wasabi smelt nice.

Sensuikan San
Sep 20, 2005, 10:32
I have been a vegetarian for 16 years, but before that I didn't eat a lot of meat. I ate beef mostly, but I have also eaten pork and chicken. I tried escargot once, but I don't think you would say 'ate' it as I spat it out again!

I've half a mind to give you a "bad post" for that one!

Escargot are .... exquisite ...!
John