PDA

View Full Version : Will Japanese massacre foreigners if a major earthquake hits Tokyo again ?

Maciamo
Jan 20, 2005, 19:12
The 1 September 1923, the Great Kanto Eartquake hit Tokyo leaving about 100,000 people dead. In the weeks following the eartquake, many Japanese falsely accused the Koreans of poisoning wells or even to be responsible for the earthquake itself, which led to the massacre of 6,000 Koreans by the Japanese police and citizens throughout the Kanto region.

My question is, do you think that such a thing could happen again in the events of a similar or worse disaster in Tokyo, given the racist attitude of some Japanese (it doesn't need to be more than a few % of the population) ?

If it happens, will it be directed towards Koreans, Chinese and/or other Asians, towards Westerners, towards Muslims (given the new global anti-muslim trend) or all of them indistinctively ?

DoctorP
Jan 20, 2005, 19:47
I voted "who knows"? It is definitely possible that people with hatred inside take advantage of a situation. That is true human nature. I would like to think that it wouldn't happen though! I will tell you one thing...if someone came after me with bad intentions they would be in for a world of hurt! :p Considering I would already be in a bad mood after the quake! :relief:

lexico
Jan 20, 2005, 21:54
I vote for probably not.
I say this for several reasons.

Back in the 1920's the Japanese elite had one major concern.
It was the establishment of the so-called PEACS, or Pan East Asian Commonwealth Sphere.
It's aim was to promote self-reliance on a regional level and to have an equal say in the international arena not only as a nation, but also as a tightly knit group of countries in military and economic alliance with Japan in the center. When its ideal was challenged in March 1, 1919 in Korea and May 4, the same year, in China, those Japanese leaders were frustrated and fearful of the opposition that may lead to the eventual collapse of PEACS. This uncertainty and insecurity of Japan's leadership must be kept in mind when we discuss the massacre of 1923.

The two Japans we are comparing, that of 1923 and that of 2005, are 72 yrs apart. The old, xenophobic, and totalitarian mindset of the average Japanese citizen has now been replaced by the new, individualistics, and cosmopolitan perspective. The old generation has been flushed out at least three times since then. Therefore there is little chance that such savage calls for genocidd can again drive the mass to the streets for lynching and torture of any one group of innocent alien residents.

The "ugly Japanese" also seems to be a stock image portrayed in the media by attention seeking reporters, alarmists (since the late 1800's by the way :)) and the broadcast networks, whether Japanese, Europian, American, Asian, or other. It is about time to declare that there is no more place in the media for presenting biased and prejudiced images of the Japanese people. In the worst case, such bad-mouthing of Japan may even help the minority ultra-right wing members to pursue their crazy ideals, whatever that may be. I firmly believe that they, the extreme nationalists and those media people who feed on them, are both dinosaurs that posterity will read about and study with amazement in the libraries and the museums.

These are some of the reasons I vote for "probably not."

Maciamo
Jan 21, 2005, 00:36
The two Japans we are comparing, that of 1923 and that of 2005, are 72 yrs apart. The old, xenophobic, and totalitarian mindset of the average Japanese citizen has now been replaced by the new, individualistics, and cosmopolitan perspective.

Agreed, but let us not forget that Tokyoites have elected and re-elected self-proclaimed racist Shintaro Ishihara as governor. One particularity of the Japanese culture (compared to Western ones) is that people avoid telling what they really think ("honne") in public and will even go to incredible extend to fake opposite feelings and smile when they dislike something or someone.

Then there are the minority of extreme-rightist riding black buses hollering nationalist music in the streets. This kind of organised neo-nazi could seize the opportunity to unleash their negative energy on foreigners when the time comes.

misa.j
Jan 21, 2005, 01:17
I voted for "who knows?", but I would like to think that it will never happen.

It doesn't seem possible to me from the circumstances they have in Japan; having the US military bases on the land is one of the good reasons to make it difficult for Japan to do such an inhumane thing; another thing is that the foreigners are spread out all over Japan, not like they used to live in certain parts of the country, which makes it hard to even think the massacre is physically possible.

Ordinary Japanese people are not armed including the Tokyo governor Ishihara Shintaro, hopefully. They neither know how to use weapons, nor how to fight back when they are pointed with weapons.

Sally_Hawn
Jan 21, 2005, 13:01
I voted gSurely noth because nowadays most of the Japanese people are well educated (maybe not at your level but stillc). Educated people are not that easy to be manipulated. There might be some cases of Japanese individuals or groups attacking other foreigners, but I donft think there will be a massacre.

Maciamo
Jan 21, 2005, 13:55
I voted gSurely noth because nowadays most of the Japanese people are well educated (maybe not at your level but stillc). Educated people are not that easy to be manipulated. There might be some cases of Japanese individuals or groups attacking other foreigners, but I donft think there will be a massacre.

The Japanese education system does not emphasize critical thinking at all. In fact, it is made to reinforce group concensus and confucianist ideas of hierarchy and respect of authority. It does help a lot manipulating people. That is why Japanese people are so obedient, hard-working and complain so little (to their boss, in public, etc.). For all these reasons, I think today's Japan is not so different from Japan 80 years ago. Lots of things have changed, but they are mostly economic, material (clothes, electronics...) or superficial (hobbies), not so much in the way people think and interact with each others.

The fact that influential people like Governor Ishihara have racist ideals makes it uncertain what could happen in case of a major confusion where people stop listenning to reason because of fear or chaos.

Maciamo
Jan 21, 2005, 13:59
Ordinary Japanese people are not armed including the Tokyo governor Ishihara Shintaro, hopefully. They neither know how to use weapons, nor how to fight back when they are pointed with weapons.

A mob doesn't need to be armed to kill isolated individuals. Throwing loose objects (easy to find after an earthquake), stones or using big Japanese kitchen knives, beating them or throwing them over a bridge or high building, or whatever.

lexico
Jan 21, 2005, 14:49
I respect your other points, but this, can't be serious.... :?

nowadays most of the Japanese people are well educated (maybe not at your level but stillc).You meant that as a joke, right? 'Cause the "you" also refers to some Japanese members, too. No? Maciamo only? So, I think I know what you're trying to say, but not absolutely sure....so.... :?

lexico
Jan 21, 2005, 15:00
Going back to the original question, and reading your responses Maciamo, I have to say I really don't know much about the Japanese people.
And also I don't know if your arguments are only to prove a point, or whether it reflects a long-term observation of the people on the whole. That is, your personal experience with many Japanese people you've met.
I mean I sense some kind of frustration, I don't know if this has anything to do, but are the ones you've seen or met, that much hopeless?
You must have certain fascinations about the country, affection for at least something that is Japanese. So I would not assume you to be negatively biased against the Japanese. Then what would make you so strongly critical of Japan as a "genocidal threat?" Is it really that bad in Japan? I am a little surprised, actually. :?

lexico
Jan 21, 2005, 15:06
It doesn't seem possible to me from the circumstances they have in Japan; having the US military bases on the land is one of the good reasons to make it difficult for Japan to do such an inhumane thing; another thing is that the foreigners are spread out all over Japan, not like they used to live in certain parts of the country, which makes it hard to even think the massacre is physically possible.Although your third argument has been effectively and even (gruesomely) discredited by Maciamo, I think your first two points, circumstatial yet very real, are good reasons to doubt the repeated massacre. But what would happen if the US pulled out? Also, being dispersed may also encourage certain readical Japanese to attack foreigners, expecting negligible resistence. Just for argument's sake. I still think the two points are valid. :-)

Maciamo
Jan 21, 2005, 15:12
'Cause the "you" also refers to some Japanese members, too. No? Maciamo only? So, I think I know what you're trying to say, but not absolutely sure....so.... :?

Hmm. in fact I am European, not Japanese, although I live in Japan and am married to a Japanese.

Maciamo
Jan 21, 2005, 15:16
And also I don't know if your arguments are only to prove a point, or whether it reflects a long-term observation of the people on the whole. That is, your personal experience with many Japanese people you've met.
I mean I sense some kind of frustration, I don't know if this has anything to do, but are the ones you've seen or met, that much hopeless?
You must have certain fascinations about the country, affection for at least something that is Japanese. So I would not assume you to be negatively biased against the Japanese. Then what would make you so strongly critical of Japan as a "genocidal threat?" Is it really that bad in Japan? I am a little surprised, actually. :?

Wow, what insight ! Very good deduction. Yes, my argument is more of a long-term observation on the whole rather than trying to prove a point. I am only thinking about the possibilities, but I voted "Who knows" as I don't think it will happen just that in some circumstances it could happen.
I may have some frustrations regarding Japanese society, because like any other society in the world, it isn't perfect, and as I haven't grown up there, it is easier for me to see what is wrong. I am not more biased or critcial about Japan than any other country though, I am just critical (not only in the negative sense of course) of anything in general. That's my personality.

Flashjeff
Jan 21, 2005, 18:52
I voted "Surely not". I'd like to think that in the aftermath of a catastrophe, people would be more concerned with survival and helping others survive rather than looking for someone to blame. That's idiotic. Case in point: after the Northridge earthquake in California back in 1994, there were no reports of whites attacking blacks, Latinos or Asians. Maciamo, were there any such attacks after Kobe in '95? Foreigners have no control over natural disasters, to strike back at someone for thinking that way is primative to the nth degree, not to mention damned foolish.

okaeri_man
Jan 21, 2005, 23:12
yeah it didn't happen in kobe, it's not going to happen in any future tokyo earthquake. plus only a psycho in this day and age would go arround killing people after an earthquake.

Maciamo
Jan 22, 2005, 00:43
I voted "Surely not". I'd like to think that in the aftermath of a catastrophe, people would be more concerned with survival and helping others survive rather than looking for someone to blame. That's idiotic.

Yes, but there are lots of idiotic people. Best proof, it happened in 1923.

Case in point: after the Northridge earthquake in California back in 1994, there were no reports of whites attacking blacks, Latinos or Asians. Maciamo, were there any such attacks after Kobe in '95?

But these eartquakes were relatively "minor". 6000 deaths in Kobe. I am talking about an absolutely catastrophic earthquake leaving hundreds of thousands of dead people (more like the recent tsunami catastrophe, but in limited to the Tokyo region). Of course, I can't imagine most Japanese acting violently (surely not a cute teenage girl who is too shy to look at someone in the eyes). I am talking about a minority of (male) nationalists, racists, yakuzas, boryokudan, etc. In fact in 1923, it was the police themselves (and the Japanese police is not known for being big fans of foreigners even nowadays).

Foreigners have no control over natural disasters, to strike back at someone for thinking that way is primative to the nth degree, not to mention damned foolish.

Still, it happened in 1923. People don't always react in a rational way in normal situations, let alone in extreme situations.

Maciamo
Jan 22, 2005, 00:50
yeah it didn't happen in kobe, it's not going to happen in any future tokyo earthquake. plus only a psycho in this day and age would go arround killing people after an earthquake.

There are many psychos in Japan. If you had followed recent news, you'd see a guy who raped and killed a schoolgirl in Nara (sending picture of his deeds to the child's mother), school children killing each others with knives or pushing toddlers from the top of a building, teenagers killing their whole family when they are sleeping at night, a housewife who murdered her husband and keep the body in the fridge for months, someone killing the whole neighbouring family with a gun because they were too noisy, etc. ad nauseam. And that's just a sample of the weekly stories that are translated in English on sites like the Mainichi online. How can we be sure that some ultraracist guys wouldn't take advantage of the confusion to start killing foreigners after a tremendous earthquake ?

Shooter452
Jan 22, 2005, 01:48
Until I read the original post, my reaction was that this was the most ridiculous topic of the day. But I understand the purpose of this thread a little more completely now. I still think that this is sort of trivial, but that is a few treads up the ladder from "ridiculous" and that is more me making sense of it than it is criticism of the originator.

I also clicked on "probably not" because I think that it is foolish to speak of certainty when we discuss future human behavior. However, given the ugly past of Japanese national behavior (and this is only one, minor example), it is possible.

However, the people of today are not the people of seventy-five years ago. The Japanese people may still be overly self-aware, or even arrogant of their place in today's world (not necessarily my opinion, but one that can be heard from "talking heads" out there), but they are not the kind of people who would do something like this, IMHO. At least not those who I knew.

The past conduct of a people, unlike the past conduct of single individuals, is not a reliable indicator of future conduct (unless you are a Democrat discussing the future behavior of Republicans...and vice versa!).

Still, under the intense pressure of such a cataclysmic event, who can possibly know for certain?

Not I, said the cat.

Ira furor brevis est

Pachipro
Jan 22, 2005, 02:55
There are many psychos in Japan. If you had followed recent news, you'd see a guy who raped and killed a schoolgirl in Nara (sending picture of his deeds to the child's mother), school children killing each others with knives or pushing toddlers from the top of a building, teenagers killing their whole family when they are sleeping at night, a housewife who murdered her husband and keep the body in the fridge for months, someone killing the whole neighbouring family with a gun because they were too noisy, etc. ad nauseam. And that's just a sample of the weekly stories that are translated in English on sites like the Mainichi online. How can we be sure that some ultraracist guys wouldn't take advantage of the confusion to start killing foreigners after a tremendous earthquake ?

I voted probably not as that was 1923 when people were not as educated or internationalized as today. Back then there was hardly any interaction with foreigners. In 2005 or later I doubt it. Granted you may have one psycho who might try something like that, but I doubt it.

Getting to your quote, it is not that unusual what you mentioned as the same type of murders and such were going on back in the early 1970's and the years that followed and probably even years before then. I remember stories of kids killing their whole families, mothers killing children and themselves, kids throwing other kids off of buildings, etc. It has, and will always be going on in Japan. There are always a few psychos. Anyone remember the guy who cut off the heads of school children and kept them? Or the woman who cut off the penis of her military American lover with a piano wire because he confessed to her that he was indeed married and that his wife was coming to live with him in a few weeks?

BlackenedEyes
Feb 12, 2005, 02:47
I voted probly not. Genocide by the government can just about be completely ruled out, because of the existance of the UN, Amnisty International and other organizations... that and they'd have the US breathing down their throats, especialy if there were alot of american casualties. Economic trade would take a huge hit as well after the media got a hold of the news.

any sort of massacure by any country is almost an impossibility now days; however if it were a movement carried out by individuals, then it might be possible.

Doc
Feb 17, 2005, 15:09

Serial rapists.
Angry housewives.
Angry husbands.
Children hacking up their parents bodies, and putting them in the basement.
Arsonists.
Hit and run drivers.
Serial killers.
Domestic disputes.
Suicides.
Children murdering other children.
Mad bombers.
Car thiefs.
Armed robberies.
White power members.
Fanatical Christians fighting people.

What do all these things have in common? That people are crazy no matter where you go. Come to St. Louis and spend a week there. You'll find out that there are just as many crazy people, than there are in Japan if not more. In the past week there have been more murders, rapes, car thefts, and God knows what in just one city that I'm beginning to wonder if the world is comming to an end.

Doc

HomicidalMouse
Feb 17, 2005, 16:39
I think people are getting too stressed. 13 year old kids commit suicide because they get stressed out at school. If i got really really stressed i'd go crazy. Losing your house in an earthquake would be pretty stressful. And depression, theres another reason for people going crazy. Then again, crazy people arn't always the people who commit crimes.
Back to the original question, if there is another massacre i dont think it'll be directed at one specific race. Lets just hope it doesn't even happen.

Hiroshi66
Feb 17, 2005, 23:59
I see what you're saying. I voted "Probably not", because, as many have said, Japan of 1923 and Japan of 2005 are different entitites. True, maybe there are right-wing nationalists, and the Metropolitan Gov is racist, however, will they go around and kill foreigners like before? I doubt it. True, the right-wingers MAY kill Chinese or Koreans, and possibly Westerners, but wouldn't they do that anyways?

Leroy_Brown
Feb 23, 2005, 13:33
If you really believe that, you need to get yourself out of Japan, NOW. You don't belong there. Before you accuse the Japanese of racism, look at your own country.

The U.S. has had the Ku Klux Klan, public lynchings, slave auctions, etc. but most Americans are confident that those days are over for good.

Maciamo
Feb 23, 2005, 13:57
If you really believe that, you need to get yourself out of Japan, NOW. You don't belong there. Before you accuse the Japanese of racism, look at your own country.

The U.S. has had the Ku Klux Klan, public lynchings, slave auctions, etc. but most Americans are confident that those days are over for good.

Not everybody on this forum comes from intolerant, racist, white supremist USA. Look at the UK for example, where else can you find more refined, sophisticated and educated people as say, Oxford :

http://www.kkklan.com/kkk_oxford.jpg

For those who didn't understand, I was just kidding :p

Hiroshi66
Feb 23, 2005, 14:43
Leroy Brown - there are racists in every country. America, Japan, France, even in countries like Tahiti and Samoa. They're everywhere. You can't stop racism. Its part of humanity. There are however degrees of it.

Leroy_Brown
Feb 25, 2005, 05:58
So where do you come from? Italy?

They haven't colonized any African nation ?

Leroy_Brown
Feb 25, 2005, 07:07
Leroy Brown - there are racists in every country. America, Japan, France, even in countries like Tahiti and Samoa. They're everywhere. You can't stop racism. Its part of humanity. There are however degrees of it.

So, you saying Japan ranks among the highest in the degree of racism?

Hiroshi66
Feb 26, 2005, 15:37
Leroy Brown - Italy? African nations? What the heck are you taking about.

No, didn't say that. I was saying that there is racism in every country. Don't jump to conclusions. You can't in history.

Xkavar
Mar 1, 2005, 07:41
I will say this:

If I'm in Japan, and a crowd of people start chanting my name and bearing weapons at me... well...

The police will be arresting me for performing a few variants of Rurouni Kenshi.

Mobs bother me.

Hiroshi66
Mar 1, 2005, 08:21
LOL.. maybe. But the riot police in Japan have not been deployed too many times but when they have been they have been pretty brutal.

Ikyoto
May 11, 2005, 10:37
I've read more threads on this forum that paint the Japanese people as thinly disguised animals that are far more prone to mindless acts of violence than others than threads that speak of anything positive.

I will not be returing to this site. The racism that people try to point out seems to be spreading rapidly to some who use the site. I am confrounted by bigotry every day of my life and to see so many people so willing to cultivate and feed suspicion and plant seeds of hate so willingly...

After reading this I really hope that the world ends. I'm truely disheartened and am afraid that my children will never see a day when people will stop grouping people into catigories and see each other as PEOPLE. I'd rather not go to Japan now... Not because of the Japanese, but because of the bigots there, here and every where else.

Let's all just fence ourselves in and fear all the people who are different. Kill all those unlike ourselves! That's the best way to solve everything, isn't it? I mean, with all the focus on the hoorrors the Japanese have done, there isn't anything worthwhile there, is there? Every Japanese person is a killer just waiting to get out, right?

I wish some here well, but honestly, I doubt anyone here will even care if I post or read the site.

Iron Chef
May 11, 2005, 10:51
I hear ya man... but trust me, sometimes you just gotta step back and like water off a duck's back, just let it slide... I used to be a cop because I wanted to do the right thing, I wanted to help save lives, fight the good fight, etc. ad nauseum. Then you wake up one day and realize your a soldier in a pitched battle in a constant war that never ends. For every deviant or miscreant that gets locked up or put down, two more are standing in line to take his or her place. Gets pretty disheartening after a while which is exactly why I quit that line of work in order to find something more fulfilling, something I actually enjoy doing and look forward to everyday.

I guess the point is don't let the cynics get you down man. Sure, there will always be plenty of people with negative outlooks who like to post thinly-veiled attacks towards other members and their beliefs or opinions on a board this size but you just gotta roll and take confidence in your position. At any rate, not sure if any of this made any sense but I hope you'll reconsider your decision to leave us. I consider your opinions and insights valuable and have enjoyed reading your posts. I would be sorry to see a contributing member of substance leave but if that's your decision, I can respect that. Take care.

Pachipro
May 12, 2005, 01:44
I've read more threads on this forum that paint the Japanese people as thinly disguised animals that are far more prone to mindless acts of violence than others than threads that speak of anything positive.

I will not be returing to this site. The racism that people try to point out seems to be spreading rapidly to some who use the site. I am confrounted by bigotry every day of my life and to see so many people so willing to cultivate and feed suspicion and plant seeds of hate so willingly...

After reading this I really hope that the world ends. I'm truely disheartened and am afraid that my children will never see a day when people will stop grouping people into catigories and see each other as PEOPLE. I'd rather not go to Japan now... Not because of the Japanese, but because of the bigots there, here and every where else.

Let's all just fence ourselves in and fear all the people who are different. Kill all those unlike ourselves! That's the best way to solve everything, isn't it? I mean, with all the focus on the hoorrors the Japanese have done, there isn't anything worthwhile there, is there? Every Japanese person is a killer just waiting to get out, right?

I wish some here well, but honestly, I doubt anyone here will even care if I post or read the site.
Sad to hear you feel this way Ikyoto and that you so easily let others opinions and possibly veiled racism get to you. Take Iron Chef's advice and chill out.

Take it from me. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I've had a more than 30 year relationship with Japan with the first 16 actually living there like a Japanese and not once did I feel any major prejudice nor feel my life was ever threatened. Sure I've felt the minor discriminations like being turned down at a real estate agent or being turned away from a bar in my early years, but that was it. Overall it was a wonderful, rewarding experience and I will be retiring there in the near future.

Show me one country that doesn't have their share of bigots. You will find them wherever you go. The same goes for some people grouping other people into catagories. It happens everwhere in every country especially in the good old USofA. Aren't you yourself doing the same by taking at face value what you have read here without finding out for yourself? Are you not grouping the Japanese as a whole by, in your own words, "Not because of the Japanese, but because of the bigots there, here, and everywhere else."?

To deny yourself a visit to Japan or to learn more is to deny yourself an education. That seems kind of ironic especially since you claim to be a teacher. To base your entire opinion on the rantings of some on one website is, to me, the epitomy of ignorance. I prefer to live by the phrase "Some people make their backyard their whole world. Me, I prefer to make the whole world my backyard."

I checked out your website forum and it does seem pretty interesting and philisophical and you cover a wide variety of topics I'd enjoy posting on so I am really confused by your ranting above. Do not base your opinion on this one forum as I wholly disagree with you. Chill out, stick around, plan a visit to Japan and then decide. Maybe the winter in Buffalo was pretty harsh this year and you have a bit of cabin fever, But I do care what you think, have perused your forum and read your post or I nor Iron Chef would have replied. We would've just let you go off into the sunset.

alexriversan
May 30, 2005, 23:04
i would rather say, a bunch of hippies took the opportunity of vietnam:

to booze and trip a good while. 1923 the earthquake, 1968 the "woodstock festival"

america sees now, this lays thirty/fourty years in the past. i do not have the impression, they hate vietnam. all they feel occurs as compassion.

there were no winners of that war.

if you go backwards:

kennedy (1962)
nixon
eisenhower
2nd world war (1937)

and, who remembers 1923? old man?

what happens in case of another serious earthquake?

i dont see japanese would actively add to the victims of that.

and, foreign group would leave on own device, probably.

or, like in case of the tsunami, help and donate to rebuild everything...

really, how many westerners got slayed by the tsunami people?

i wonder...this really happened (on television)- why superimpose/imagine another catastrophe so soon?

sorry for this somehow necrophile contribution-

just to say, some japanese are civilized.

if i read this thread i say (wearing glasses) "this occurs uncanny to me"

image borrowed from http://www.art.com

klepman_1971
Jan 4, 2006, 06:24
who can tell what happens, i vote for WHO KNOWS, because nobody will know what happens when tokyo will be hit by a massive earthquake.
and also u cant compare tokyo 1923 with 2005..

greets and respect from amsterdam

klepman_1971
Jan 4, 2006, 07:10
quote I am not proud of why America was founded...But there is something, I'm not sure what, that makes me proud of what America wants to be. quote

this is the worst sentence i ever read in my life.
i dont hate americans, but i am proud that i am not american hahaha,

further on there are racist in every country on this planet.
i dont think that japanese are more racist then for instance scotish or egyptian people

If time can talk...
Jan 4, 2006, 16:31
East Asians...

Maciamo
Jan 10, 2006, 18:05
who can tell what happens, i vote for WHO KNOWS, because nobody will know what happens when tokyo will be hit by a massive earthquake.

Why not ? Not everybody on this forum lives in Tokyo, and not everybody in the next eartquake will die (to give you an idea, less than 5% of the people died in 1923, and many modern houses are earthquake-proof).

nurizeko
Mar 7, 2006, 18:47
Why not ? Not everybody on this forum lives in Tokyo, and not everybody in the next eartquake will die (to give you an idea, less than 5% of the people died in 1923, and many modern houses are earthquake-proof).

Hopefully me and my girlfriend will be visitting my scottish relatives when the earthquake occurs. :P

Also scottish folk arent so racist, we keep having these stupid ads on TV thats line is "one scotland, many people" and its basically showing how all different races are scottish and what-not....its touching and i can appreciate it but its just another example of the british lvoe affair with going to insane lengths not to offend anyone.....except us common as much atheist young male whites, were basically the only ligitimate target left. :(

Try and remember folk, this thread is about as much a joke, aswell as discussion on japans feelings towards foreigners.

dogman
Mar 16, 2006, 05:39
I think this question is totally ridiculous.

lastmagi
Mar 16, 2006, 05:48
Did you bother reading the rest of the post after the title?

dogman
Mar 16, 2006, 05:58
I hate to say this but, Maciamo, you are an *******.
Why do you manage this site?
Judging by your work, obviously you hate Japan and Japanese.

dogman
Mar 16, 2006, 06:01
Did you bother reading the rest of the post after the title?

No.

I believe most of the posters said gNoh.

moffeltoff
Mar 16, 2006, 06:11
If panic and confusion are the driving force of the people yes ,if not no.

Dutch Baka
Mar 16, 2006, 07:07
I hate to say this but, Maciamo, you are an *******.
Why do you manage this site?
Judging by your work, obviously you hate Japan and Japanese.

Wow... you probably know a lot about Japan, and you are probably a nice guy, but having only 9 posts, and not knowing Maciamo that good, I don't think you have any rights *respect rights* to say this.

pipokun
Mar 16, 2006, 21:07
the point is that the thread started after the terrible hanshin-awaji and niigata earthquakes.

*off-topic*
if maciamo were really a cruel devil's advocate as he sometimes describe himself, he must have posted more frustrated posts against japan or japanese in the french section here.

Reiku
Mar 17, 2006, 21:23
The 1 September 1923, the Great Kanto Eartquake hit Tokyo leaving about 100,000 people dead. In the weeks following the eartquake, many Japanese falsely accused the Koreans of poisoning wells or even to be responsible for the earthquake itself, which led to the massacre of 6,000 Koreans by the Japanese police and citizens throughout the Kanto region.
My question is, do you think that such a thing could happen again in the events of a similar or worse disaster in Tokyo, given the racist attitude of some Japanese (it doesn't need to be more than a few % of the population) ?
If it happens, will it be directed towards Koreans, Chinese and/or other Asians, towards Westerners, towards Muslims (given the new global anti-muslim trend) or all of them indistinctively ?

You been reading "Dragon Head"? :D

Oh wait, that wasn't an earthquake...

Anyway, I voted who knows.

Da Monstar
Mar 17, 2006, 21:27
Probably not.

I really hope they have wisen up since that. It sounds so stupid blaiming other races/ countries for Earthquakes. Everyone knows that its the seahorses of atlantis that travels so fast that a friction happens and suddenly entire surfaces just goes woobly.
:D

Kintaro
Apr 9, 2006, 01:50
It's a great thread idea, considering that this situation can apply to other places in the world with very minor variance. Accusing Maciamo of racism is totally inappropriate, look at New York on 2001.9.11 : they were attacking people coming from "regions of the world east of Greece and west of China".

If something happened in Toronto or Vancouver for example, the only difference is that there is no Toronto-ron, and the multiple ethnicities would fight amongst each other.

Every country is vulnerable to subconscious racist ideas and panic, the latter igniting the former in case of disaster. And while Japan does have its own us. vs. them mentality, they are far more likely to understand reason in a normal situation than a totalitarian or theocratic country. But when panic is in the mix, all bets are off, for all people of all places.

Faustianideals
Apr 9, 2006, 02:26
That was in 1923. I think most people have enough common sense not to blame a natural disaster on a group of people.:relief:

gaijinalways
Apr 9, 2006, 16:00
I think it's pretty unlikely.

Hopefully, The US bases might help to some extent. Then again, they might just be safe havens if you can reach one and they let you in:cool: !

pipokun
Apr 9, 2006, 22:31
which led to the massacre of 6,000 Koreans by the Japanese police and citizens throughout the Kanto region.

And another point to be considered.

Han Chan
Apr 9, 2006, 22:31
Even if somebody tried to play a similar blame-game today I do not think that the Japanese of today could do something like back in 1923.

zemilc
Apr 13, 2006, 12:49
I am pretty that they won't murder other foreigners.

jieshi
Apr 13, 2006, 14:14
Unless they wanted to be kicked out of the G8, have the diplomatic book flung at them and probably be met with Military assaults from foreign nations I would think not.

dangdaga
Apr 21, 2006, 21:46
LOL.. maybe. But the riot police in Japan have not been deployed too many times but when they have been they have been pretty brutal

jonathancameron
Jan 27, 2007, 09:39
I voted "who knows"? It is definitely possible that people with hatred inside take advantage of a situation. That is true human nature. I would like to think that it wouldn't happen though! I will tell you one thing...if someone came after me with bad intentions they would be in for a world of hurt! :p Considering I would already be in a bad mood after the quake! :relief:

Now, how will that be possible for a natual disasster? Did they just not give aid to the foreigner and died due to wounds and neglect which resulted from the earthquake? Japanese nationals nor anyone will take out their anger on those coming from another country unless thay are bombed or something. An earthquake is a natural disaster that is NOT the fault of another country. As such this question is really ludicrous.

caster51
Feb 6, 2007, 19:28
If they did not do some riots, rapes and arsons first, it would not be occured

caster51
Feb 7, 2007, 08:47
http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29294
after WW2, they were called " Sangokujin"
why were they called "sanhokujin"
There are a lot of descriptions of the Korean whom Douglas MacArthur saw after ww2 in Japan.
http://photoimg.enjoyjapan.naver.com/view/enjoybbs/viewphoto/phistory/77000/20070207117080055076212200.jpg
and descriptions of the Korean whom Taiwanese saw after ww2 in Japan.
http://photoimg.enjoyjapan.naver.com/view/enjoybbs/viewphoto/phistory/76000/20070204117058805903956400.jpg
it should learn what they did in Japan of that confusion.
The same thing happened after Great Kanto Earthquake.
Their riots rape, arosen ended, A new rumor started. " they attack us again"And, the tragedy started.

Taiko666
Feb 8, 2007, 15:21
After the big one stikes, if I'm still in one piece I'm going to head straight for the British embassy, or to the homes of some close Japanese friends. This is the best way to ensure that I remain in one piece. I'm not so worried about vigilante mobs (or the police) mowing people down as they did to Koreans and Chinese in 1923. I really don't think that could happen again- the world would know about it immediately, and of course Japan has moved on... But I think individual attacks on gaijin are possible.

I can picture the scene: my small hometown is still without water a week after the quake. A water truck arrives, the tired, emotional, exasperated locals queue up. I'm the only gaijin. Mumbling rises from the queue, dirty looks are cast my way, but nothing happens... until some young racist hot-head (possibly a yakky, or somebody who's been warped by the Gaijin Hanzai Ura File (http://www.debito.org/index.php/?p=192)) decides he's had enough and picks on me. Others join in. I think the chances of a beating are quite high.

I pretty sure this is not paranoia on my part. With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible.

caster51
Feb 8, 2007, 22:16
[With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible

I think individual attacks on gaijin are possible.
and Ishihara will do his best to recover the order and protect you .

I can picture the scene: my small hometown is still without water a week after the quake. A water truck arrives, the tired, emotional, exasperated locals queue up. I'm the only gaijin. Mumbling rises from the queue, dirty looks are cast my way,

this is a movie of kanto quake.
you should picture the scene well.
mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto01-lo.wmv
mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto02-lo.wmv
mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto04-lo.wmv

pipokun
Feb 8, 2007, 22:55
I pretty sure this is not paranoia on my part. With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible.

To get over your paranoia, ohayogozaimasu to your neighbors would be your first step.
And food and water for the first 3 days would also help, no matter how closely you live to the embassy.

If you have time, it is good to keep remembering what happened in the Kansai region or Niigata. I keep in mind that there are many kinds of Britons here.

caster51
Feb 8, 2007, 23:10
foreign member of Inaka fire brigades are very welcome.
Participating in it is also good.

junjunforever
Feb 9, 2007, 14:20
If they did not do some riots, rapes and arsons first, it would not be occured
"The total death toll from these disturbances is uncertain; according to the investigation by the Home Ministry, confirmed victims of vigilante justice were 231 Koreans killed and 43 injured, 3 Chinese killed, 59 Japanese (including Okinawans) killed and 43 injured. Actual estimates range as high as 6,600, although politically independent studies put the figure at just over 2,500. Three hundred and sixty-two Japanese civilians were eventually charged (for murder, attempted murder, manslaughter and assault), though most got off with nominal sentences, and even those who were sent to jail were later released with a general pardon commemorating the marriage of Prince Hirohito. In contrast, the actual number of Koreans who were charged for crimes during this period were 2 for murder, 3 for arson, 6 for robbery and 3 for rape."
From Wikipedia. 11 Koreans charged formally charged for wrongdoings, compared to 362 Japanese. The amount of help by the police was so significant in helping with the violence and covering up for the people who commit racist crimes.
Surely, if there was an earthquake now, caster51 be the frontman in murdering foreigners, beliving they caused the earthquake. You would likely do what they did back in 1920s. Go around every house, and ask people to pronounce, 15‰~ 50‘K (jū-go-en, go-jū-sen) and ‚ª‚¬‚®‚°‚² (gagigugego). If they could not pronounce these correctly, they were taken out and beaten up or killed.

You think Japanese government during the WW2 was faultless, and the blame is to be placed on all non-Japanese.

Highlight below to reveal the atrocities of the Japanese government in human subject testing named "maruta" or treelog.
Highlight below to reveal the most disgusting things you can read on the internet. Not recommended if you woudl rather stay out of the history debate and past warcrimes of the government.

Vivisection
* Vivisections were performed on prisoners infected with various diseases. Scientists would perform invasive surgery on prisoners removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body.[6] The infected and vivisected prisoners included women, children and infants.[7]
* Vivisections were also performed on pregnant women, sometimes impregnated by doctors, and the baby removed.[8]
* Prisoners had limbs amputated in order to study blood loss.
* Those limbs that were removed were sometimes reattached to opposite sides of the body.
* Some prisoners' limbs were frozen and removed by saw.
* Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus was reattached to the intestines.
* Parts of the brain, lungs, liver, etc. were removed from some prisoners.
* Prisoners of war were subjected to vivisection.[9]
[edit] Weapons testing
* Human targets were used to test grenades positioned at various distances and in different positions.
* Flame throwers were tested on humans.
* Human targets tied to stakes were used to test germ-releasing bombs, chemical weapons and explosive bombs.
[edit] Germ warfare attacks
* Unit 731 and its affiliated units (Unit 1644, Unit 100 etc.) went beyond the "testing" phase of biological weapons, and actively committed epidemic-creating germ warfare assaults against the Chinese people (both civilians and soldiers) throughout World War II. Plague-infested fleas, bred in the lab facilities of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes over Chinese populated locations, such as the coastal city of Ningbo in 1940, and the city of Changde, Hunan province in 1941. This military aerial spraying resulted in human epidemics of bubonic plague (the "Black Death") that killed thousands of Chinese civilians.[10]
[edit] Other experiments
* Some prisoners were deprived of food and water to determine the length of time before death.
* Some prisoners were placed into high pressure chambers until they died.
* Some prisoners were exposed to extreme temperatures and developed frostbite to determine how long humans can survive with such an affliction.
* Some experiments were performed to determine the relationship between temperature, burns and human survival.
* Some prisoners were placed into centrifuges and spun until death.
* Animal blood was injected into some prisoners and the effects of this studied.
* Some prisoners had lethal doses of x-ray radiation administered.
* Gas chambers tested various chemical weapons on some prisoners.
* Air bubbles were injected into some prisoners' bloodstreams to simulate a stroke.
* Sea water was injected into some prisoners to determine if it could be substituted for saline.
All from Wikipedia.

Taiko666
Feb 9, 2007, 17:12
To get over your paranoia, ohayogozaimasu to your neighbors would be your first step.
And food and water for the first 3 days would also help, no matter how closely you live to the embassy.
If you have time, it is good to keep remembering what happened in the Kansai region or Niigata. I keep in mind that there are many kinds of Britons here.

Good advice... actually I'm already friendly with my immediate neighbours (adjacent apartments) and have even dined with them in their apartments. And I have an earthquake kit both at home and in the office, and have attended earthquake awareness and training at a large Tokyo fire station.

I'm sure Ishihara would be very efficient at clearing up Tokyo after a quake. For all his faults, he's probably better than most Japanese officials at getting things done. It's just a shame that his silly remarks make so much of the population feel uneasy.

I'm pleasantly surprised that foreigners can join the Japanese fire service. A definite step in the right direction.

If the big one strikes I'm sure it will bring out the best in 99% of Japanese people. But I'm concerned that the Black Van brigade (uyoku) and those who sympathise with them will have a field day.

caster51
Feb 9, 2007, 19:58
Actual estimates range as high as 6,600, although politically independent studies put the figure at just over 2,500.
I dont think so because they like inflations as a propagands....

If the big one strikes I'm sure it will bring out the best in 99% of Japanese people. But I'm concerned that the Black Van brigade (uyoku) and those who sympathise with them will have a field day.

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29211

http://photoimg.enjoyjapan.naver.com/view/enjoybbs/viewphoto/phistory/75000/20061223116688303926326900.jpg
http://photoimg.enjoyjapan.naver.com/view/enjoybbs/viewphoto/phistory/71000/20060925115919368964114200.jpg
asahi newspaper said
" Do not be puzzled to the rumor any more. Order has already been maintained by military forces. Please do not fear Korean people any further though
they did alot of bad things".
roumores are "hundreds of korean attack again"
According to many doccuments,
1)Some Koreans did all subversive activities like arson, plunder, the homicide, and the rape, etc.
2)military forces and the vigilance committee killed koreans because of opposition those korean acts .
3)The rumor flitted though it put down a rioting mob, and it doubted Korean people who did not try to perpetrate a crime, too.
it was sad..
after ww2,many korean's evil same acts occured again in japan .

junjunforever
Feb 11, 2007, 23:13
I dont think so because they like inflations as a propagands....
asahi newspaper said
" Do not be puzzled to the rumor any more. Order has already been maintained by military forces. Please do not fear Korean people any further though
they did alot of bad things".
roumores are "hundreds of korean attack again"
According to many doccuments,
1)Some Koreans did all subversive activities like arson, plunder, the homicide, and the rape, etc.
2)military forces and the vigilance committee killed koreans because of opposition those korean acts .
3)The rumor flitted though it put down a rioting mob, and it doubted Korean people who did not try to perpetrate a crime, too.
it was sad..
after ww2,many korean's evil same acts occured again in japan .
well, sir. You say Koreans were "rumored" to have done this and that, but an official record in Wikipedia that says specifically that only 12 Koreans were arrested for killing and arson.

The "official" number of massacred foreigners are around 350 by the Japanese government, and an independent research says over 2000 were massacred. Besides, Japanese people went around houses looking for foreigners and killed them. They didnt catch people comminting robbery. They SPECIFICALLY RAN AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD TO FIND ALL FOREIGNERS MASSACRED THEM. This was during the time some of your mothers were alive. Some people who took part in this massacre could very much be still alive as well, and many children who saw this happen took part in the massacre of Nanking.

Nazi Hitler = Japanese Imperial Government

So you keep asking why have many Koreans turn to yakuza? Back then, this was the only way to defend themselves against the racist japanese government and yakuza. Many korena were brought to japan under the japanese government order, and they could not go back. however, as the incident above shows, many Japanese would kill the koreans just because they were koreans. Their only choice was to stick together and defend themselves.

caster51
Feb 12, 2007, 10:24
, but an official record in Wikipedia that says specifically that only 12 Koreans were arrested for killing and arson.
it was enough for reasons . you dont know that situation of damage at that time .
I cant believe korean did such things in dameges of Quake
of course I am regarettable about that.

Japanese people went around houses looking for foreigners and killed them.
Yes ,a rumore was spread because of that(their atack again).
that is,terror and fear

Some people who took part in this massacre could very much be still alive as well
it is not an evidence at that time.
http://www.history.gr.jp/~nanking/LSCSmythe.pdf

many Japanese would kill the koreans just because they were koreans. Their only choice was to stick together and defend themselves.
just after WW2.....you can see "what did they do in japan ?"

BTW
If the big earthquake happens in Japan, the Korean is pleased.

Aerain
Apr 4, 2007, 04:57
Umm, you musn't be serious, I mean 1923 I doubt something like that will ever happen again in any part of the globe... I mean some japanese are racist but it is like everywhere else...

StandAlone2323
Jun 10, 2007, 08:51
i voted "surely not". a lot has changed since 1923. humans are "smarter" persay. people, and not just in japan, were much more prejudice back then. We live in a much more accepting world. not to mention, if someone poisoned the water, we can test for that now without having to have someone drink it. we also know that people dont cause earthquakes, but moving plates under us.

and yes, actually, an earthquake will actually erupt in tokyo. scientists know it, just not when. lets just hope its not soon.

apiapi
Jun 11, 2007, 09:47
"Surely not", unless someone/group of ppl keep poisoning the public with that idea.

cherry_cherry
Jun 11, 2007, 10:30
Please read this thread.
Japan Forum > Japanese News & Hot Topics > Politics > Japan's Conspiracy (2)

nyouyaku
Jan 12, 2008, 21:31
I think that there will not be a massacre, but a mass immigration to Europe, USA, and Canada should a mass earthquake erupt and destroy Japan. I think people in Japan expect other European nations to accept them even when all that xenophobic attitudes persist because most westerners think Japanese people are respectful and good hard working people. So this is Japan: You want to come to Japan when you are in trouble, no way, go somewhere else. But, when they are in trouble, it goes like this: we are nice hardworking people, let us in as memebers of developed nations. "Sinshi no kokumin"

And the west will swallow this hypocrisy.

Dogen Z
Jan 14, 2008, 18:30
Please read this thread.
Japan Forum > Japanese News & Hot Topics > Politics > Japan's Conspiracy (2)

There are four techtonic plates shifting under Japan. Please learn some geophysics rather than dreaming up stuff from manga.

Rather than reading manga, you might try to read, FOOLED BY RANDOMNESS. It's a discussion of how people in history often tried to connect dots between events when there was no actual cause and effect relationship.

Back to the OP. It's a ridiculous assertion I can only laugh at :blush:. Must have been posted by someone under the age of 14.

uchimizu
Jan 14, 2008, 21:05
Surely not. There were huge earthquakes in Kobe and Niigata recently , and nothing like that happened. I do not believe Tokyo people would behave differently from Kobe or Niigata people

lonesoullost3
Apr 21, 2008, 02:07
Unless they wanted to be kicked out of the G8

I would have to say when I first read the question I immediately thought this is ridiculous. Looking through the arguments on this page (note, I skimmed and did not necessarily read intensely), I noticed that 99% of people are focusing on Japan exclusively, ignoring the change in Japan's international presence and prestige it has been awarded since 1923.

I think Jieshi (quoted above) shares a parallel line of thought as I (though the rest of his post I don't agree with - no one would invade). In 1923, Japan was still the "fluke" East Asian country that had managed to modernize (let's levae defining modernity aside for now) faster than other Asian countries. Furthermore, it had escaped colonization by Western powers and had even established colonies of its own in Taiwan and Korea. This latter point is significant, as at this time Koreans were conceived of as being under Japanese rule. There was no country that would come and to the Korean's aid in the name of "Korea" (as at that time, Korea as an independent country did not exist in the Japanese mind, nor did it in most Western countries' minds). Therefore, there would have been (and was) no repercussion to the attacks from abroad.

Furthermore, in 1923, Japan had not been brought fully into the international sphere of economics and politics. The majority of trade still was with and within Europe, and Japan still took a backseat role in international affairs. This starkly contrasts with the present day, where Japan has the world's second largest economy (though for how much longer) and had no participation (partially because some of these groups had not been formed) in the G8, WTO, ARF, ASEAN+3, and other international treaty organizations. The League of Nations did not have much power, and there was no Human Rights Watch or other HR organizations. All of these are factors in how a country allows its people to act, and even in how educated people decide what consequences their actions will have.

To sum up so far, the international environment in 1923 was VERY different from the environment of now (or what we can expect in the future barring WW3). With the "eyes of the world" on a nation, people and the government will behave very differently. This is one reason why economic aid is always used as leverage in Africa and other developing countries. When you become important to the world (and equally, when the world becomes important to you), it becomes necessary to act according to the "rules of the game" so to speak. Of course, rules can be broken, but in the fold of the international blanket, they will come with dire consequences that most nations will be unwilling to face in this time of globalization.

A final point - the 1923 attacks began from the spreading of rumors that Koreans were committing arsony, robbery, and poisoning the wells. The newspapers did not help as many of them played these rumors as true, which is what truly started the avalanche of violence. The information age has changed things so that even uneducated people have access to everyday information in a variety of mediums from a variety of sources, including international ones (translated or otherwise). Thus, if you truly want to compare the circumstances and what initiated the killings - the mis-propagation of information - today's world would very likely prevent such a scenario from happening. Even in New York 2001, as some wrote, although there were attacks on people, there was not a mass dissemination of false-information saying that all Middle Eastern (even non-Caucasian) people had conspired in the attacks. What NY does show, is that yes, there is a distinct possibility of attacks against a people perceived of as threatening, but the attacks in 2001 are in no way comparable to the scale of the attacks in 1923. Thus, we see two things from the above that are required for a repeat of 1923: 1) a people (defined by race/region/language etc.) must first be perceived as threatening, and 2) information must spread rapidly to a large amount of people about the threat of these people.

Now, combining this with our earlier conclusions, I now ask again, what is the likelihood that 1923 can occur again?

My answer, surely not. At worst, I would see a post-9-11 repeat.

*I'm not going to go into how the spread of culture and the increase of comsopolitanism in the world affects people's mindsets, I think that's been taken care of to some degree by other posters.

pipokun
Apr 21, 2008, 19:07
the point is that the thread started after the terrible hanshin-awaji and niigata earthquakes.

That's all. And I don't like to criticize something in the original posterfs absence.

It is interesting why Korean people still believe the myth created long after the earthquake, though it is true that Korean people died in the earthquake like other Japanese then.

gaijinalways
Apr 25, 2008, 19:30
Funny that it is a myth written as history by Westerners!?:(

AroundTheWorld
Jun 25, 2008, 14:20
Every culture is racist to some extent. Japanese children kill themselves because of bullying, so do Americans, Europeans, and other asians. Sometimes there isn't enough of a response to a public disaster to avoid tragedy... Hurricane Katrina was the same way.

The lesson we need to learn is that we are all equals, and all capable of terrible things.

Shalimar_Doyle
Jun 26, 2008, 01:23
Surelly not! Something like that couldn happen in others country,but not in Japan. I believe in japanese people and i now they never will do such a thing.

Glenski
Jun 27, 2008, 07:02
If you believe the governor of Tokyo, then precisely the opposite will happen. Foreigners will be the ones to be controlled. Sigh. Silly thread.

FactsGuy
Jun 29, 2008, 10:20

Those days are just around the corner. If the US has a major national catastrophe, such as a stock market crash and food shortage, expect to see the different communities (that are usually self-segregated) start turning against one another.

The idea that an earthquake that impacts just Tokyo is far fetched, but if there is harbored resentment or tension (like the US has) than a massive disaster followed by a crushed economy could lead toward people looking for a scapegoat. But it would have to take the ripple effect of jobless and poverty.

attaro
Feb 21, 2009, 06:34
considering that I am 7 feet tall and a boxing player. that would be a nightmare for the police. just kidding . :blush:
actually who knows ?

Giostigma
Feb 26, 2009, 11:14
Do remember that this was a while back and Japanese people have changed their views on foreigners. But if there ever was an attack I would say it would be on the Koreans. I've heard that many Japanese people don't like Koreans so that would be my guess. Just heard that. But in likely hood I don't think this would ever happen. I also agree with another member. Im 6"5. Nobodys gonna mess with me.