View Full Version : Japanese translation of Driving licence

Sep 18, 2004, 14:03
I would like to exchange my European driving licence against a Japanese one. The info on the JAF's site (http://www.jaf.or.jp/e/switch.htm) mention that I should pay 3000yen to obtain a translation of my driving licence to Japanese. However, I can easily translate it myself, especially that there are just a few words (easily done in 5min). Can I just do it myself or do I need an "official translation" ? Has anyone passed through these procedures before and sucessfully submitted their own translation ?

Sep 18, 2004, 16:07
my wife was going to translate mine right there in the office, but she is not a legal translator therefore it was not going to be accepted. We had to drive to the JAF office and they did the translation (had to come back the next day). Then I went back and recieved by Japanese license with no problems.

Sep 18, 2004, 17:46
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just have to go the nearest JAF office then.

Sep 19, 2004, 00:33
Mail it to JAF - takes a fraction of the time and is the normal way these things are handled. They will mail you back the translated documents very quickly.

Have you checked on the exact requirements for a license holder from whichever country you are from? They vary vastly.

Sep 19, 2004, 11:40
Have you checked on the exact requirements for a license holder from whichever country you are from? They vary vastly.

Where can I find that ? I saw that people with a Frecnh, Swiss or German licence had much easier to exchange their licence, but I don't understand why as the EU driving licences are all the same pink paper written in all the EU's official languages (at least for 15 countries).

mad pierrot
Sep 19, 2004, 11:48
Yep, they're right, you'll need an official. (Or so at least I was told.) Not sure where to find that other info, though. Maybe your Embassy would have info?

Sep 19, 2004, 14:17
If you have a license issued from any of the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and South Korea.

Then you're in luck. changing to a Japanese license is a straighforward translation, visit to City Hall, visit to licensing center, eye-test, sitting around for a while undertaking.

If you're from elsewhere...LOL....