PDA

View Full Version : Japan-made parts found in Libyan nuke plant

Maciamo
Sep 10, 2004, 20:23
Asahi News : Japan-made parts found in Libyan nuke plant (http://www.asahi.com/english/world/TKY200409100166.html)

A full-scale investigation is under way to determine how Japanese-made precision instruments ended up at a nuclear facility in Libya, sources said.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) found the devices during inspections from December to March that followed Libyan leader Col. Moammar Gadhafi's pledge to dismantle his country's nuclear weapons program, the sources said.

Would Japan help Lybia to build nukes if they were paid enough ?

DoctorP
Sep 10, 2004, 20:33
Would Japan help Lybia to build nukes if they were paid enough ?

Well, it's not the Japanese gov't that built the parts. Money is a great motivator all over the world. Probably the company that made the parts felt that no one would find out...or Libya bought the parts under a fake name in another country then shipped the parts home for the plant. Anything is possible.

Ben W Bell
Nov 18, 2004, 20:44
Or, it's possible those parts have other non-nuclear based uses and as a result the parts are freely available. Many components of nuclear warheads and the equipment used in them do have more mundane uses. The media has a way of stating facts without being objective on them.
A good example was the governments claims that if Iraq could have obtained the nuclear material it could have build a bomb in a few weeks, something that any university or precision machine shop could do in the same time. Factually correct, but you weren't given the context.

Apollo
Nov 18, 2004, 23:54
I am no technician, but I want to believe that the precision parts can be used for something else than nuclear weapons...
Too bad that the name of the company is withheld.. :? Or can a third party not export the shipments to Libya instead of directly from the supplier?
CC1's theory I would vote for. :wave:

Hakuen
Jan 9, 2005, 03:11
Canadian and a few American parts too we found--- so would Canada and the US help Libya too... not likely