PDA

View Full Version : Chinese hurdler sets new Olympic record and ties World record!!

Dream Time
Aug 28, 2004, 10:59
http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/SPORT/08/27/olympics.hurdles.reut/story.Liu.afp.jpg

video
http://news.xinhuanet.com/video/2004-08/27/content_1901590.htm

a historical moment for Chinese and Asian athletes

in 110 m hurdle

China's Liu Xiang , 21 years old, won by finishing at the time of 12.91 seconds,
he tied the world mark set by Colin Jackson in 1993 and broke the Olympic record of 12.95 set by Allen Johnson in 1996.

Liu's personal best going into the race was 13.06. The only other time a Chinese man won a medal in track and field was in 1984, when high jumper Zhu Jianhua took the bronze. This is also the first time an Asian athlete have won a medal in this event.

"This is a miracle, but I believe a lot more miracles will take place in China," he said. "My victory has proved that athletes with yellow skin can run as fast as those with black and white skin."

he is now a hero in the hearts of Chinese people, we are so proud of him!!
he also kinda look like Bruce Lee too :D

topi
Aug 28, 2004, 11:01
Yea I saw that. The way he flew over those hurdles, just enough to clear them, but to keep speed was amazing.
Its very good to see a Chinese athlete do well.

shotime77780
Aug 29, 2004, 07:11
hmmm, i do track during the spring and almost all of the best hurdlers are asian including myself :wave: :wave: its no miracle, i guess it has something to do with flexablity and tecnique when i comes to hurdling that asians excell at

michi
Aug 29, 2004, 07:25
My family and I had our eyes glued to the television. It was so obvious that he was going to win! The look on his face when he was about to cross the finish line is unforgettable. I watched a chinese interview with him. He was crying with happiness and saying how much it meant to his country and to orientals in general. No Chinese has ever won a short distance track race at the Olympics. For Xiu Liang to tie the World Record and set a new Olympic Record will sure be a important moment in Olympic history. He is a Chinese hero!

:happy: :bravo: :spray: :flower: :cheer: :cracker: :confetti: :win: :victory:

Lina Inverse
Aug 29, 2004, 08:53
Wow, that's quite a feat! Congrats! :cool: