PDA

View Full Version : Olympics statistics

Maciamo
Aug 22, 2004, 20:45
There are 32 sports at the summer olympic games, with (if my calculations are correct) 283 gold medals attributed to the following categories (men's + women's combined) :

Aquatics (total = 46 medals)
- Swimming : 26 individual + 6 team relay medals
- Synchronised swimming : 4 medals (women only)
- Diving : 8 medals
- Water polo : 2 medals

Archery : 4

Athletics (total = 46 medals)
- track : 23 medals
- jumping : 8 medals
- throwing : 8 medals
- road : 7 medals

Badminton : 5 medals

Baseball : 1 medal

Basketball : 2 medals

Boxing : 11 medals (men only)

Canoeing : 16 medals

Cycling : 6 medals

Equestrian : 6 medals

Fencing : 6 medals

Football : 2 medals

Gymnastics : (total = 18 medals)
- Artistic : 14 medals
- Rhythmic : 2 medals (women only)
- Trampoline : 2 medals

Handball : 2 medals

Hockey : 2 medals

Judo : 14 medals

Modern Pentathlon : 2 medals

Rowing : 14 medals

Sailing : 11 medals

Shooting : 16 medals

Softball : 1 medal (women only)

Table Tennis : 4 medals

Taekwondo : 8 medals

Tennis : 4 medals

Triathlon : 2 medals

Volleyball : 2 medals

Weightlifting : 14 medals

Wrestling : 18 medals

Most difficult medals to get

The most pretigious medals considering the number for each sport, number of participants and number of matches would be the team sports with only 2 medals (men's and women's), so :
- baseball/softball, basketball, football, handball, hockey, volleyball.

Then come the individual or double sports with tournament style matches :
- tennis, table tennis, badminton

The following sports have more than 10 medals each :
- aquatics (46), athletics (46), gymnastics (18), wrestling (18), shooting (16), canoeing (16), rowing (14), judo (14), weightlifting (14) and sailing (11).

What country excels in what sports ?

Here are the results for the most popular sports at the Athens 2004 Olympics for the events which are complete.

Swimming

1) The US got 12 of the 32 (37,5%) swimming gold medals, and 28 out the 96 (29%) in total.
2) Australia got 7 (21,9%) gold and 15 (15,6%) in total.
3) Japan got 3 gold and 8 in total.

Shooting

China ends first for golds, with 4 medals out of 16, and 9 medals in total out of 42.
Russia comes 2nd for golds, with 3 medals, but ranks first in total with 10 medals.

Rowing

Romania get 3 gold and nothing else, then Germany comes with 2 gold and 2 silver, and the UK with 1 gold, 2 silver and 1 bronze.

Judo

Japan dominated, taking no less than 8 gold out of 14 (57%) and 2 silver. No other country managed to get more than 1 gold medal. China got 5 medals i total and Cuba 6 but no gold.

Satori
Aug 24, 2004, 08:42
Thanks for this. I haven't had cable lately, so I've been out of the loop, so to speak. Now I can keep up with what's going on in the Olympics--at least in your thread! I assume you'll keep updating it?

Maciamo
Aug 30, 2004, 11:58
Now that the Olympics are over, lrts's count.

The EU got the more medals (289), followed by the US (103), Russia (92), China (63). Australia (49) and Japan (37).

For Golds, the EU is also first (87), followed by the US (35), China (32), Russia (27), Australia (17) and Japan (16).

Japan did its best performance ever in Athens for the total of medals and equaled its record of gold medals of the Tokyo Olympics of 1964.

Satori
Aug 30, 2004, 12:02
Who won the equestrian competitions? ... if you know ... :?

Maciamo
Aug 30, 2004, 15:38
All the results are here : http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/results (click on the sport or country of your choice for the results)]

For equestrian, gold medals went to Germany (2), the Netherlands, the UK, Ireland and France

Satori
Aug 30, 2004, 17:43
All the results are here : http://sports.yahoo.com/oly/results (click on the sport or country of your choice for the results)]

For equestrian, gold medals went to Germany (2), the Netherlands, the UK, Ireland and France

Thank you, Maciamo!! I notice at that site that you can even click on the link to each individual and get even more statistics. That's a great site! Thanks again!! :-) :cool: