PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo experiences highest ever temperature

Maciamo
Jul 20, 2004, 19:22
Temperature in Tokyo hits record 39.5 degrees (http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/news/20040720p2a00m0dm004000c.html)

The temperature in Tokyo hit 39.5 degrees Celsius on Tuesday, the highest figure ever recorded in the capital of Japan, weather officials said.

The previous highest temperature in Tokyo was 39.1 degrees Celsius on Aug. 3, 1994. Japan's highest record stands at 40.8 degrees Celsius, which was recorded in Yamagata in July 1933.

The temperature rose to 39.5 degrees Celsius in Otemachi, downtown Tokyo, at about 1 p.m., 10.1 points higher than average.

It peaked at 40.0 degrees in Ushiku, Chiba Prefecture, shortly before 1 p.m., followed by 38.3 degrees in Kofu, Yamanashi Prefecture, and 38 in Kumagaya, Saitama Prefecture.

Well, I was in Otemachi (in the street) around 1pm, so I have experienced the record high temperature for Tokyo. :bravo: Fortunately the humidity wasn't so high, so it wasn't that bad.

Brooker
Jul 20, 2004, 19:37
How much is that in fahrenheit? It must be hot because I know that 35 Celcius is really hot. I hope it's not that hot when I go to Japan in September.

I'm from the north, I can't stand hot weather.

Arch
Jul 20, 2004, 20:08
well 35 celcius = 95 fahrenheit,
39 celcius = 102 fahrenheit
40 celcius = 104 fahrenheit,

so pretty much ouch its damn hot

Elgin
Jul 20, 2004, 20:20
oh I saw this on the news, I`m feeling it here in Kyoto aswell. I went to buy me some sunscreen and for 550 yen I get 37ml. I can get 1 liter bottles back in Canada.

Is it just me or Japanese guys don`t really put any sunscreen? When I have P.E at school I apply me some sunscreen but the other students don`t and were outside in a sand field doing some sports.

ich ni san shi! go rok hitch hatch! :atsui:

TwistedMac
Jul 20, 2004, 23:33
oh I saw this on the news, I`m feeling it here in Kyoto aswell. I went to buy me some sunscreen and for 550 yen I get 37ml. I can get 1 liter bottles back in Canada.

Is it just me or Japanese guys don`t really put any sunscreen? When I have P.E at school I apply me some sunscreen but the other students don`t and were outside in a sand field doing some sports.

ich ni san shi! go rok hitch hatch! :atsui:

how come i see "shichi" for 7 all over the place, but this isn't the first time i've seen hichi.. (ok, with the i dropped, but that's not prunounced, so i'm guessing that doesnt matter...) are both ok? shichi and hichi? or have i been fed the wrong info and hichi is right?

jeisan
Jul 21, 2004, 02:09
aww 40c aint that bad, especially if the humidity is down. :p
where i grew up it routinly went over 40c, a couple times a summer it would go over 45c (113F) and would rarely go over 50c (122F) but really if there's no humidity its not as bad as one would expect.

Mike Cash
Jul 21, 2004, 02:27
If frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts every time they jumped.

Don't know if you've ever known the joys of a summer in Tokyo, but take my word for it, yesterday was no picnic. The dashboard readout on my truck indicated that the outside temp was 41 degrees, and I thought it must be reading high at least 3 or 4 degrees because of engine heat. Now I learn that it was spot on.

Foxtrot Uniform
Jul 21, 2004, 02:28
Damn, I wasn't so lucky... Where I live in the Kansai area, it was hot and humid!!! I had picked a perfect day to not have enough money to get a train ride home, which meant walking for kilometers in the punishing heat... I definitly lost a few million brain cells today.

jeisan
Jul 21, 2004, 02:39
nah, can't say that i've experienced summer in tokyo though i have in the mojave desert as well as various parts of texas.

Elizabeth
Jul 21, 2004, 03:38
how come i see "shichi" for 7 all over the place, but this isn't the first time i've seen hichi.. (ok, with the i dropped, but that's not prunounced, so i'm guessing that doesnt matter...) are both ok? shichi and hichi? or have i been fed the wrong info and hichi is right?
Because kids a lot of times say it that way....not sure about anyone else. :p

playaa
Jul 21, 2004, 08:09
It has been running around the 100 degrees mark here in Louisiana for the past few weeks.. But here in Louisiana we have so much humidity that you immediately almost begin to sweat when doing anything outside.

Elgin
Jul 21, 2004, 11:36

oh I`m talking when were doing exercises out in the field. I asked my teacher and friends and they told me that ( ich rok hich hach ) are more easier to scream out, faster and a sports way of counting.

Like the same way sports team members say (konich) instead of konnichiwa.

I`m not sure but this may be a dialect from Kyoto or something. honma ni? :p

Buddha Smoker
Jul 21, 2004, 11:44
Yeah, it topped out about 38/39 out here in Ome. Either way it's hot :okashii:

Brooker
Jul 21, 2004, 12:37
I'm glad I'm not in Tokyo this summer. I'm so used to Seattle weather. Right now it's just about perfect - about 75 degrees F., with a cool breeze, and no humidity.